Recent, Persistent Fog

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Jon Wescott, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Jon Wescott

Jon Wescott Paddler

I was just wondering if anyone could/would explain the weather conditions that are driving the fog that's been hanging around on at least the mainland side of the Strait of Georgia since, I believe, last Thursday. I had been paddling in Howe Sound a week ago today and had noticed the massive fogbank just hanging out on the sound's southern end, and it's since been moving in and out from here. It's been dramatic and beautiful. I'm curious to know what the conditions are that are keeping it in place all this time. I know how fog is produced, etc., just not sure what's allowing it to sit here for so long. It's also been killing the northerly outflows here in Howe Sound and the opportunities for downwind paddles ; )

2. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

Here in North Idaho, we've been having foggy mornings (burns off by ~noon) for about the same number of days. This is quite unusual over so many consecutive days. The reason? ... haven't the foggiest (someone was going to say that).

3. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

4. Jon Wescott

Jon Wescott Paddler

Thanks Andy! Now to see where the high pressure system is parked.

5. nootka

nootka Paddler