Recent trips on local lakes

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by pawsplus, Mar 21, 2018.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

I haven't been posting every single trip, as they get a little dull, given that we mostly just paddle on the lakes here. But we have been out several times with the new boats since mine came home---here are a few pix. :)

From a trip to Center Hill Lake in early March.

The obligatory bow shot. ;-)
    bow_view.JPG

The water level was VERY high due to recent torrential rains. They have been keeping Center Hill low b/c of dam work, so this was really abnormal. The parking lot was flooded and, as you can see, so were the picnic areas! It was hard to find a place to have lunch b/c the beaches were non-existent!
    DSCF0043.JPG

There I go!
    ET2.jpg

It was a cold day and I started out in pogies and a balaclava.
    ET4.jpg

Our flooded lunch spot.
    ET_shore.jpg

Joel paddling away into the sunset.
    sparkles.JPG

From a trip to Normandy Lake (first time there) last weekend. At Normandy we met another sea kayaker!!! We got his contact info so we can hook up again. We were all so excited to have found one of our Tribe in land-locked TN. He has a Kevlar Epic (didn't get a pic of that, though).

Totally cheesy pic of me with my brand new GEARLAB PADDLE!!! It's really nice. I like the feel of the wood better (the Gearlab one is so slick as to require a firmer grip), but it's lightweight and portable! ET_pogies.jpg

Pic from Joel's boat of me adjusting my spray skirt LOL. I managed to drop my waterproof camera in 2 feet of water and we were UNABLE TO FIND IT!!! The water was very muddy and it was also COLD. I felt around for a while but then my hand froze and I gave up. Ordered a new one and will actually remember to USE the neck strap going forward. ;-)
    sprayskirt.jpg

Dan_Millsip, Grian and Astoriadave like this.
  2. designer

designer Paddler

I'm so jealous of your access to water now. All our "high lakes" will be snowed in until they clear the roads - probably closer to May. Boat - with matching Greenland paddle - looks great. I see you got the rounded, instead of straight, tips. Looks like you have a wooden one too. Do they both move the boat the same and you like the feel of wood better? I'm guessing if you have the hold the black one a little firmer that there would just a tad more fatigue.

3. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Actually, I did not request the rounded ones! I find them pretty similar--the main difference is that the CF one is slippery and the loom is a little thinner. The wooden one feels better in my hands, but I'm using the CF one right now mostly so I can get used to it before the PPS, as that is what I will have there. Got a new suitcase so I can carry that on, as I will be forced to check the paddle (in its case, inside the box it came in, padded w/ bubble wrap!), and I didn't want to have to pay for 2 checked items!

Yes, it is an advantage that we can paddle year round here, although summers are miserable. But now that I can roll, that is what I plan to do this summer--making lemonade. ;-)