• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Refinishing a teak table

jurgenk

Paddler
I realize that this hardly fits the category of boat or accessory building but I do not want to go through the pain and social discomfort of a new board finding out what an ass I am. Years ago a friend's dog put a nasty scratch in the surface of a dining room table of mine and I am now looking to refinish it. The spot of the scratch where I originally sanded it down is another color and I purchased a ROS and am going to sand the entire surface down. Anyone have any experience in a good finish for such and any tips.

Brad

The Flexner book is excellent. I recently refinished a walnut blanket chest top (family heirloom, dating back 100+ years) using a simple oil-based Minwax stain and water-based varathane from the same folks.

If you test the underside of the table with the techniques you have in mind, I don't think you can go wrong.

I used a ROS, completing with 120 grit, to remove all the old finish, stained it, allowed the stain to dry for 24 hours, and then hit it with 3 successive coats of the varathane. Looks almost identical with the original finish. I suspect teak would finish out about the same as this walnut, leaving some grain texture still visible ... which looks good.

More coats, with sanding between the last couple, would fill all the grain in and give a really fine finish.

Thank you gentlemen for your reply and I now know I can come here for all my DIY advice... I am staring at the table envisioning cutting it into strips but it would undoubtedly be too much work.

Back