• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

renting a row boat?

rider

Paddler
OK i know i am somewhat off-topic here, but does anyone know where i could rent something that's fun to row? something that's neither a rowing shell nor a motorboat with no engine. guideboat,rowing dory,canoe with rowing rig,something of that nature. Haven't rowed anything since i was a kid and have the itch to try it.

rider said:
does anyone know where i could rent something that's fun to row? something that's neither a rowing shell nor a motorboat with no engine. Haven't rowed anything since i was a kid and have the itch to try it.
i recommend renting a rowing machine and "This is The Sea II"
get your heart rate up to 130 and turn on the movie, your ich should soon disappear!

I own a rowing machine and both This is the Sea and This is the Sea II vids. Big fan of the videos and Justine (except the part in the circumnavigation of Tasmania we all wish we never saw. you know what i'm talking about)

I think Deer lake boat rentals in burnaby still rents row boats. There # is 604-839-3949. Jill

Rider, on a serious note.
do you feel a rowing machine is a good training workout for kayaking?
dave

In my opinion, a cheapie pump-style machine can give your kayaking muscles an ok workout. A "real" rowing machine ( concept 2 or similar, with a bar with chain/cable you pull and some sort of a flywheel on the end), those probably won't be as good for kayaking workout. on cheapie you can move one arm forward and other back,twisting your torso, on concept 2 you can't. My gf who used to row rowing shells thinks my machine is a POS and offensive to her as a rower :lol: . can't really argue there, i used to use concept 2 style at bcit gym and pump style machines are nothing like the real thing.

A "real" rowing machine ( concept 2 or similar, with a bar with chain/cable you pull and some sort of a flywheel on the end), those probably won't be as good for kayaking workout.

rider, the gym i use has one and i have never paid much attention to it. now i guess i never will.
thanks, dave

Rent a Rowboat

Go to the Center for Wooden Boats in Seatle. Check out the livery. /www.cwb.org/. My wife and I used to drive down from vancouver just to go for a row on lake union. The opportunity to try classic rowboats (and to sail if you are qualified).

rgds
Rick

Back