Renting boats in Vancouver and the Island

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by jurgenk, Sep 1, 2005.

1. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Hey all, I am going to be down "South" (as we in the North call it) for almost all of September taking first aid instructor courses in Vancouver and was thinking of driving down with my boat, but nixed the idea. Instead am going to fly with some of my gear and then rent boats for a few paddling trips. What are some good rental spots in Vancouver and the Island (I would preferrably like to try out some glass P&H boats)? When I lived in Victoria in the eighties and early nineties ORS was about it and I have never paddled in Vancouver.

Also, I was not going to bring my main paddle (it is a split, but I do not want to pack it unless needed) and is it possible to rent something other than a seal-killing device? :)

2. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

http://ecomarine.com/
    http://bcdive.com/

Those are 2 spots in Vancouver that rent. You'll have to ask them about the paddle because I don't know.

edit: Mountain Equipment Co-op also rents. http://mec.ca

3. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

In Victoria, there are quite a few places. Ocean River Sports (1-800-909-4233) and Pacifica Paddlesports (1-877-921-9365) are both downtown, close to the water (Ocean River has their own dock in the inner harbour which they'll allow you to launch from). From the Sidney area, there are a few places (SeaQuest Adventures comes to mind: 1-888-656-7599), and a place on the water or in Sidney Marina (I think it's Harbour Road Kayaks: 250.812.7103); it's probably a good idea to call ahead to reserve a boat and let them know when you're coming.

I'm not sure what types of boats all these places offer; ditto for paddles.

If you want, give me a shout when you're in Victoria - hopefully we can hook up for a paddle some time! Let me know if you're interested and I'll PM you my phone number.

Mark

4. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Thanks Andy and Mark... PM me Mark and I will try and hook up with you Island boys. I will be heading over to the Island for at least one weekend (revisiting glory days from University) and I would love to go paddling/drinking.

Brad

5. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Not paddling and drinking at the same time I hope! 8O :?

I'm not a drinker - but I'm always up for a paddle! PM is on its way. :wink:

6. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

mmm beer :D

7. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Speaking of paddling and drinking, there is a funny article in the latest Adventure Kayak about loggers and kayaking that I found amusing (being a former logger and current kayaker). Not that I condone the mixing of alcohol and paddling as it can be challenging enough sober at times... :)

8. andreas

andreas Paddler

hi there,

why don't we all get together for a nice saturday paddle at oak bay or so?and after that go for a coffee????????

for boats: as you guys know, i work at pacifica paddle sports in vic. the boats we have are plastic and fiberglass kayaks. necky, nimbus,atlantis and formula ( now impex). paddles: aqua bound sting ray's. i think we have a great selection on rental gear! if we all get together and you would like a boat from us, then maybe i could give you a deal :wink:

ok, if you guys don't mind my german accent :wink: i'm up for a nice paddle with you.

see ya
    andreas

9. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

I was definitely planning on stopping by Andreas (an inside contact at a paddlesports store is always worth a look) and taking a look as I do not remember the store from when I was in Victoria.

Brad

10. andreas

andreas Paddler

i know i know our building is really easy to miss....... looks like a run down old warehouse......... but, we (the staff) are working on it! let the off season roll in and we will have lots of time to do all the yard and paint work 8O :? :roll:

by the way, i'm only working monday-friday :D

andreas

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Andreas sounds Like a good Idea.Let us know of the date and time this might take place.Oh and chance would have it that I have a PH Quest. :p

Wet Elvis

12. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

Sounds like fun, hopefully we can find a day that works for everyone :lol:

13. Komatiq

Komatiq Paddler

jurgenk Getting to this a little late perhaps, just got back from 9 days in the States.

If you were looking to try a couple of P&H's designs while you are in Victoria you could try Scot at Rush Adventures. He had some last time I was there (2 months ago) and may still have one or two.

http://www.rush-adventures.com/

Scot's about the only person I know of that may have P&H besides MEC. He does rent and the Sooke Basin is a nice spot to wet a blade...... :wink:

Cheers,

14. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Thanks Komatiq, I have flip-flopped yet again and am driving down with my boat, but I still would love to try out a glass Quest so this is good information. My tenative plan (I make John Kerry look firm) is to go over to the Island on the weekend of the 24-25 and will try to hook up with some of you then. Take care...

Brad

15. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

8) Cool
    thats my only free weekend in Sept :D

16. andreas

andreas Paddler

that weekend, ocean river sports has the end of season sale !

anyhow, that weekend sounds fine to me......

andreas

17. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Over nighter to Rum Island? Or just a day paddle?

18. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

I guess it depends on everyones schedule and what type of gear our visitors have with them. Another option which would be neat to do as a group would be Esquimalt circumnavigation.

We could launch at South Bay, paddle up the Gorge, do the portage to Esquimalt Harbour, then paddle the waterfront, the harbour and end up back where we started.....just a thought. It would depend on tide up Portage Inlet and current under the Tillicum bridge, but it would give our visitors a taste of everything.

19. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Portage?!?! 8O
    Are you volunteering to carry my boat? :p :wink: :!:

20. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

Ummm, nope...I saw those jumbo wheels in your back yard shed - you can bring those and charge everyone $2 for a ride :lol: