Renting boats in Vancouver and the Island

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by jurgenk, Sep 1, 2005.

1. andreas

andreas Paddler

portaging? circumnavigating? what the heck? :lol: :wink:

well, i think i would have to bring a set of weels for my boat..... and if you guys ask reeeaaalllyyyyy nice, then i could bring you also a set of rollers . lets set a date/ time so we check on the tides.

otherwise, what about going out to oak bay, see the seals, smell the bird poop on the chain isl. nice beach to put the boats in (willows beach) washrooms incl. and , if the wind is with us, we could have lunch on chatam isl.???????

andreas

2. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Hey, the outlander is bringing all the gear he can stuff in his Subaru wagon so an overnight trip is definitely a possibility Darren. I have never paddled on the Esquimalt side (too blue collar) but have done the Chatham/Discovery route and others out of Cadboro Bay and Oak Bay area. Have done a lot of day paddling out of Sidney (that is where Rum is if my memory serves) but would be up to whatever you lower mainland types cook up. As to the portage idea, I will not be bringing my manservant so I would have to hire someone locally. :wink:

3. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

LOL :lol:

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

sept.25

Can`t make it that weekend Renfrew is calling me back. Still would like to try it another time.
    Andreas maybe we can do a evening padlle around Oak Bay, just about any night will work for me.

What do you think

Wet Elvis

5. andreas

andreas Paddler

hi elvis,

the evenings are getting shorter :? sun sets around 7.30..........
    what about this coming weekend? i planed of going bicycle camping, but boating is much better.

let me know what you think.

andreas

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How about Saturday Around Oak Bay Trial Isl., Discovery area or all of the above? :p

Elvis

7. andreas

andreas Paddler

arrrgggggg...... :roll: just made some plans for a sunday morning paddle with a friend of us...... it's her first time in a kayak :D that means, i will have to paddle in a heavy 2 seater and only in quiet water around oak bay.

did you check the tides for saturday? could get crazy on trail isl. for most of the day (strong rising tide in the morning and wind in the afternoon like everyday). i can't go on both days anyway..... my wife would kill me :?

maybe the weekend after this one?

p.s. i'm not really crazy about paddling in tidal races :roll:

see ya

andreas

8. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I've got a lot going on in the next little while (installing a new furnace etc.) but whatever you decide on where and when to do a day paddle, I'll most likely show up. Overnighters might be a little less likely depending on how I have to schedule my weekends... but in all honesty I'll try to schedule the rest of life around an overnighter, not the other way around! 8) :wink:

So, you can likely count me in on whatever works for everyone else! And I'm into paddling in pretty much any weather / sea conditions.

9. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Now there is a man after my own heart and fragile mental condition... :wink:

10. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Do we have a plan :?:

11. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I was thinking of maybe heading over to Discovery Island on Saturday early afternoon. Anyone else interested? Depending on group size, we could put in either at Cattle Point (I'm not sure if there are restrictions on overnight parking there... does anyone know?), or if we're a small group we could launch from Telegraph Bay (limited parking there, but it makes for a nicer paddle to the island).

Other ideas? Who's interested?

12. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Sounds great. I'm in. Weather is supposed to be nice. 8)

13. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

Sounds good - I don't think you can park overnight at either of those spots.

14. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

There are no signs warning against it at Telegraph; I've parked there overnight once with no problems. There may be more on-street parking close by; I'm not sure, but it's all residential so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll try to swing by that area and check it out before the weekend.

15. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

Smugglers Cove would be a nice put in as well, not sure about the parking around there. Even Gyro Park would be ok but you'd have to park outside the gate.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Smuglers Cove

I`ve parked there for two nights with no problems, limited spots though.

Happy paddling

Wet Elvis :p

17. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

You gonna be able to make it out, Elvis?

18. andreas

andreas Paddler

oh man..... i forgot about that weekend :roll:
    have to work on my wifes boats----you know, cutting boats apart and so :D
    well, maybe one day i will make it out there with you guys.
    is anyone taking pictures? please post some!

little hint , if you are lucky, you can stay on chatam---it is way nicer. i know it is a indian reserve..... but thats why i said lucky :wink: last time i had to stay there, becauce it was getting really ruff and windy...... nobody came. for staying on chatam, i picked up garbage and took it home.

anyhow,
    have fun!

andreas

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wish I could sounds like a good time but I`ll be spending the night at Camper Cr.
    We should try to get together another time though ( I to like confused waters ) :p

Wet Elvis

20. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

I know a great place to camp a few minutes from Jordan River.

We should all do an Oct surf trip? 8O