Replace Foot Pegs With Bulkhead

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by darb, Sep 22, 2014.

1. darb

darb Paddler

I would like to replace my footpegs with a bulkhead.

Anyone else done this?

2. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

Yes, people have done it. Usually put the bulkhead on a 20-40 deg angle depending on angle of how you wish your feet to land. Often 1 to 2" pads of foam are placed on the foot area of the bulkhead and left off the middle to accommodate stretching or placing a foot operated pump.

Aside from the bracing, it minimizes cockpit volume when pumping (or whatever) out after dumping (assuming tight ckpt rear bulkhead also).

It has an adverse effect if rudders or taller paddlers (or resale) is ever contemplated.

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Darb,

If you decide to use the bulkhead for a footrest, might be good to consider moving it back to within 10 cm or so of the natural position for your feet, and then building it up on the rear face with mini cell, as Mick describes. This gives you some adjustment for fine tuning the position, and a little bit of increased legroom if someone uses else it, and they have slightly longer legs.

Micks resale point is worth thinking on, also

4. scott_f

scott_f Paddler

It's worth asking what material your kayak is made of. Glass, poly, thermoformed?

You might also consider a foot plate like the P&H Hammer or Delphin. No modifications to the actually boat needed.

I personally hate footpegs, but at 6'5" I have the luxury of just taking them out and using the stock bulkhead padded with minicell.

5. rider

rider Paddler

I've put a home-made adjustable creeker-style bulkhead in the P&H Delphin( not surf spec) and into my Nifty 385. Great to have for play.

6. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I know I'm a little late to the party on this post... but I've done this on two boats, my NDK Explorer and then on my NDK Romany. Both worked great, although I wish I'd given myself a tiny bit more room in the Romany. I made the new bulkheads myself from numerous layers of glass cloth, after very extensive measuring and making near-perfect cardboard templates. It's not a fun project, unless you enjoy shoving your entire upper body into a cramped cockpit to cut out the old bulkhead etc., but the results are definitely worth it. Pros, as stated by others, are a much more comfortable and solid foot plate (the difference in comfort is much greater than you might think!); smaller volume cockpit (for pumping etc.); much increased forward hatch volume; and a very recognizable identifying feature (I glassed my name into the new Romany bulkhead, so it could not be removed without cutting out the entire bulkhead). The only con I could think of was that the boat is now customized to fit me, so selling or lending the boat to others is limited to people with shorter legs than I. I don't intend to sell either of these amazing boats so that wasn't much of a consideration.

If you want any tips etc. I'm happy to help! Just pm me through this site or email me.