• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Reservations in Broken Group

jefffski

Paddler
Heading to the BGI and Deer Groups next week. I'm going to book camp spots for the first few nights in the BGI (one tent). We're then heading to the Deer Group (no permits needed). We may head directly back to Secret Beach after the Deer Group or we may need to stop for a night in the BGI. I'm not sure we can get reception from the Deer Group to make one the day before we head back and I'm not even sure where we'd camp.

Question: Are rangers checking for reservations/camping permits? I'd rather not make one and not use it on our return. If you've been recently, what was your experience with checking for camping permits. My guess is that it's a bit hit or miss.

Thx

jefffsli, I’m curious how you intend to transport from BGI to the Deer Group. I’m asking because when I considered that area, paddling between the two groups was a bit discouraged - something about a wide body of water and iffy weather conditions.

There are two ways. First, cross Barkley Sound from either Gibraltar (8km) or Effingham (7 km). We'll do that if conditions are right. Second, paddle through Julia Passage into Barkley Sound. Then, follow the shoreline across Effingham Inlet and Vernon Bay to reach Junction Passage. then, it's an easy cross into the Deer Group. We did the second one several years ago with a stop in the bay behind Vernon Bay. We camped on a drying area at the very north end. There's even a creek there, though the water is brackish.

Back