rodents and SOF's

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by rider, Sep 24, 2005.

1. rider

rider Paddler

Just curious. how likely or easy would it be for a hungry rodent(rat,mouse) to chew a hole through a skin-on-frame if it was convinced theres food inside?
    BTW congrats Andy on your new boat. I like the CH so far except it seeps some water in , in consistent 3-4 ft waves, along bolts and where the rescue line goes through the plastic. sealed the very nose now so should be better and will probably seal the rest up sometime when its too cold to paddle.

2. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Probably quite likely -- heck, I could chew through it if I were hungry enough. :D

I certainly wouldn't leave any food in a SOF overnight -- aside from being a poor practice to begin with, the chances of a rodent chewing through in the pursuit of food are most likely pretty high (if the taste of the waterproof covering doesn't disuade them).

I've seen and heard of lots of instances where mice have chewed through and ruined many packs and tents going after food.

3. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

hey dan,
    isn't it true you have a pic of a yak used as a mousetrap for one of them poor little critters?? quivering and shivering deep at the end of the yak?

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

LOL, that would be Ian's 17' Endeavour cedar strip eradicator trap. Worked great on it's trial test (no mice were harmed during this test):

[​IMG]

btw Mick, I passed you on the freeway tonight around 6:45 near the Brunette exit -- you were heading in the opposite direction with Facetious on your car -- thought you might have noticed me as I had my double on the roof.

5. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Hee hee - I'll never get tired of that photo! He was such a cute little guy! :lol:

To satisfy the more humane of our visitors, I should tell you that the mouse entered the hatch of his own free will - but was unable to climb out again. :? We placed a paddle blade-down into the hatch to act as a sort of ladder, and within minutes he was gone. 8)