Rolling, rolling, rolling!

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by pawsplus, Jun 11, 2018.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Went to the lake w/ my friend Joel on Sat. He doesn't have a roll yet, but he's strong and can right my boat. And it turned out that when I told him what to look for, he really could help me by telling me if I was letting the paddle dive or not arching my back enough.

This was the first time trying all my new rolls in my own boat (as opposed to the Tahes I used at TIPS, PPS, and with Mike in Vancouver). And I DID THEM!!!! All but the hand roll. Decided not to try that without an instructor until I am really confirmed with the Norsaq. But did the Norsaq and the shotgun rolls with only a few misfires, and then tried the butterfly roll, which I hadn't officially gotten to with an instructor, but had worked on parts of (balance brace in and out, etc). And it was EASY! I am FINALLY at the point where I can diagnose what I'm doing wrong and fix it (and having eyes above the water really helped with that). Usually with me it's that I didn't wait to let the boat get all the way over before starting, or that I'm not arching my back enough.

I'm excited that the next time I see Dubside I'll be able to show him all of those, and hopefully start on some forward-finishing rolls! :)

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

The next time I go to the lake I want to work on "if something goes wrong." I.e., if my shotgun roll fails, I need to be able to recover, set up for a standard roll, and get back to the surface w/out having to wet exit. Because I won't always have someone ready to right me and I want to work on these things a lot.

3. jamonte

jamonte Paddler

Paws, I love your enthusiasm and desire to learn! If you love this sport (which you obviously do!) you will NEVER learn everything there is to know about kayaking. No matter how much you know, there is always something new to learn. I started sea kayaking 31 years ago and finally took a WW intro class in 1998 to improve my boat handling skills and combat rolls. Twenty years later, I'm more of a river runner than a salty dog, but I have never lost my love of the sea and the wonderful places a sea kayak can take me. My only advice is to keep doing what you're doing! Have fun and keep learning. Kayaking is life. Enjoy!

4. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Greg Stamer told us that once he had learned all the Greenland rolls and ropes moves, he got bored and didn't want to do them anymore. So he moved on to long-distance racing. I can't see myself ever getting bored with them, but there definitely IS always more stuff out there to do! :)

5. jamonte

jamonte Paddler

My latest passion is self-support whitewater kayaking trips, which push me to use all my skills and experience learned from decades of sea kayaking, whitewater kayaking, and backpacking. I just finished a 9-day, 200 mile trip in Idaho down Marsh Creek, the Middle Fork Salmon, and the Main Salmon. It was a high water, high adventure trip with very active weather. In a couple weeks, I'm returning to Idaho for a 220 mile solo trip that will start in the Sawtooth Mountains and end on the Snake River in Washington. I just love watching the country go by from the seat of a kayak!

But there are so many other aspects of kayaking to pursue... One friend quit river running in order to do her new passion, long-distance racing. Other friends are passionate about slalom racing, kayak polo, play-boating, rock-gardening, etc., etc. There ALWAYS something new to learn!

pawsplus likes this.
  6. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

More rolling practice yesterday. I worked on the re-enter and roll (which takes a little finesse, given that stupid "Smarty Hatch" in my boat that extends down 4" into my leg space!), as well as switching the paddle underwater and rolling up on the other side, and going in with the paddle not set up at all. What I really need to concentrate on for a while, I think, is my left side standard roll. I'm SOOOO right handed. My right roll is great and easy and I don't even have to think about it -- the left is agonizing. I KNOW the things I'm doing wrong but find it hard not to do them!

The butterfly roll and shotgun roll are really going well (right side only). :)

stagger likes this.
  7. designer

designer Paddler

PawsPlus - it is inspiring to read about you having so much fun. One exercise - and modification - for the future is working with the spare paddle. At present, mine are on the front deck, but out of reach. I have home-made pvc tubes tied to deck cord. I'll make the tubes longer and/or move them towards the cockpit so I can reach the paddles. Then a roll practice would be to abandon/loose the main paddle, pull half a paddle from the holder and roll up with it. If your spare is also a greenland paddle, then maybe it is already full length.

Thank you for mentioning arching your back, even with non-greenland paddles, I can see how that could make just that little bit of difference to get over.