ROLLING

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by tim_in_bc, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Yup, he became (as Derek Hutchinson would say) "one of the swimming public". :eek:

Paddling thru the waves at Jordan River (in a sea kayak!) is crazy - what a rush! You've never really 'surfed' until you've done some stuff like that. My adrenaline is still pumping! 8) :D :p

2. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

One of the "thrills" of surfing at Jordan River is when a wave is big enough to tip you over stern to front - rolling definitely helps when surfing at JR.

3. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

They weren't quite that big - maybe for a surf kayak, but not for an 18' sea kayak. But they were the biggest swells I've been in, and the first time I've had to land thru surf. So all things considered, I think I did ok... and Darren only bailed once so that's not bad :wink:

Gotta try more surfing like that some time though - perhaps I should get a reliable roll down first though. :eek:

4. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

5. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

My best head over tail flip at JR was in my 16.5 ft sirocco - quite exciting - and just a tad scary the first time!
    A relaible roll is a big help.

6. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

Hmmm, Darren was in a Sirocco......and I've got one as well. Maybe we should have a Sirocco flipping day :p

7. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

The sirocco is a good boat in the surf, and being plastic one does not worry too much about it.
    I'd be up for a sirocco surf day! Send me an e-mail if you are planning to head out!
    Cheers
    M.

8. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Sounds like fun! 8)
    But I think I might take my surfboard as well, just in case I get too frustrated in my kayak. :?

9. tim_in_bc

tim_in_bc Paddler

Well I took a class on rolling last weekend.

The instructor was very methodical and perfromed both the sea to sea roll and the sweep roll on either side very well.

I did mange to do 3 sweep rolls with the instructor standing close.

Prior to the class I was trying a low impact roll explained in the video kayak rolling and could do it with a paddle float.

My Nimbus Telkwa has a fairly high deck and the sweep roll seems like it could hurt my back if I was not careful.

I hit the pool the next day after the class and tried the roll in the kayak video but I seem to be lacking sufficent padding to be stable in the seat which translates into a inconsistent hip flick. Time to outfit the cockpit a bit.

Rolling seems to be very challenging but if it was easy I would not be nearly as obsessed with mastering it.

10. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Cool! 8)
    Just curious. Who was your instructor?

11. tim_in_bc

tim_in_bc Paddler

It was through Ocean River Sports with Jordie. The training method was good with all 3 of us getting at least one roll with minimal assistance. I say minimal because when it was successful it almost felt too easy. I watched the others who also felt the same and they were not helped by Jordie when they got a roll. The trick is repeating the exact movement and getting all the must do's like keeping you head down and a proper sweep and hip flick.

I hear some people get it right away but I can see for me it will be small increments of improvement until it becomes easier.

12. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Did my first roll tonight -- this was my second pool session. A friend of mine offered to coach me and I couldn't be happier.

For the 1 1/4 hour first session, he had me doing bracing and sculling, then holding onto the edge of the pool and doing hip flicks. After that I was holding my paddle vertical with the blade resting on the bottom in the shallow end of the pool, and with my head half in the water practiced doing more hip flicks and self-rescuing with my paddle on the bottom of the pool if I went over too far.

Tonight it was a recap of everything that we did in the first session and then towards the end of the session, he told me to put it all together -- voila, I rolled on my first attempt with my coach just barely holding my arms to make sure than I was positioned correctly. After that, I did a few more (some with a little help) before the pool closed.

I can hardly wait for next Friday's session!

13. kiteking

kiteking New Member

I took some lessons from OR, they were awesome. After a few Sunday's practice I got pretty consistent results. With my newfound confidence I took my Wavesport X down the Gorge towards the Craigflower bridge. Flipped over holly crap I'm upside down my head is freezing oops now let me see, relax . . . . setup . . . . . GET ME OUT OF HERE and wet exit. My paddling buddy was wondering what I was doing upside down for so long. THANKS. Pools and real world didn't meld for me. Still fun in the pool!!

14. Komatiq

Komatiq Paddler

Rolling vid's

For anyone interested in Greenland roling you can check out some vids here.....
    http://www.qajaqusa.org/

...... The vids are in the Greenland Kayaking Techniques on the main page. These guys have been at this for awhile and use SOF's which are a touch easier to roll than some of the boats I've seen mentioned here but the vids are interesting to watch.

Cheers,