Sailing

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Steve_Fairbairn, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Steve_Fairbairn

Steve_Fairbairn Paddler

This looks like a cool rig for windy days. Seems like a much better solution than the golf umbrella since it leaves your hands free to use your paddle. It got pretty good reviews in the latest Sea Kayaker magazine.

[​IMG]

2. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

That does look pretty cool.

It's a bit pricey but I've gone through several golf umbrellas because the salt water is very tough on them and they end up falling apart after 3 or 4 trips. I suspect the money that I've spent on golf umbrellas over the past couple years would have been better put towards something like this rig.

I like that the sail will dump wind when hit with a gust -- that's a good safety feature. And the clear panel at the bottom allows you to view directly in front of your boat, which is also a good thing.

3. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

i paddled in the san juans last summer with a friend who uses a spirit sail and have to admit i was jealous on a few legs of the trip with my 1000 strokes to his 50 but we did get caught off guard one time while heading north on bellingham channel when the smooth 10 changed to 25 instantly and brent was unable to remove the sail by himself. with the gusts exceding 30 it was tense for a few minutes while we rafted up so brent could use both hands and more leverage to remove the sail and stow it away. i think the reviews i've read on the spirit sails also made mention of this difficulty in high winds.

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Interesting. What makes the sail so difficult to take down? Does it stow on the deck?

btw: how do you pronounce "dvfrggr"? :wink:

5. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

I have one and like it. It does a great job of giving you an extra kick when going down wind. However, I have found that the number of times that the wind is behind me when I want it is not as often as I would like :(
    That said, it was a great help last summer when I had a following wind for a full day's paddle!
    I find that you can use it up to about 45 degrees either side of down wind - perhaps more on a non skeg boat.
    I have never had trouble geting it down - takes practice and balance though.

6. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

dan, i have never used a spirit sail but brent was unable slip the sail post out of the deck mount in those high wind conditions with one hand, conditions were such that you really didn't want to take your hand off your paddle, once the sail is removed it stows very easily and quickly. april 2005 sea kayaker has an article on 13 tested sails and would be a good place to start on researching a sail to purchase. the review of the spirit sail cautions use in winds over 15 mph and describes the take down procedeure in detail.
    "dvfrggr" i've had people ask me what it means but never how to pronounce it, i don't have a good answer for either.

7. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

I just spotted THIS LISTING on eBay. Pretty simple design and quite cost effective.....

8. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Neat idea, but it may not work too well if you have a rudderless boat. With my skeg I find you really need a paddle blade in the water to make a few mid-course corrections. Without being able to steer, "death is imminent". :?

9. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

Darren and I are discussing on the phone at this very moment - we have a design in mind and will be making a prototype :lol:

10. bradwurst

bradwurst Paddler

Hey folks, We just bought a Primex 1.5M sail and masts new in box for 80 bucks on ebay. 270 at Eco-Marine. Anyone use this make before? Friends have one and seem to like it as its easy up and easier down. If we are getting wet, then it will be for sale cheap!! lol 8)

11. bradwurst

bradwurst Paddler

The fellow that we purchased this from has a few others as well. Buy it now price of 79usd. The sail has excellent reviews. 8)