Sandpiper 17

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Bluefoot, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Bluefoot

Bluefoot Paddler

My neighbour was given an kayak by an older gentleman who was returning to the US. It has a logo of a Sandpiper bird on it and is 17 feet long. No rocker and a flat bottom. It is old.

Does anyone know anything about this model? Thanks

2. Yeti

Yeti Paddler

Old Eddyline?

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Definitely not an Eddyline hull. Do not recognize the logo. The rudder resembles Easy Rider's once upon a time lashup, but otherwise totally foreign to me. Any idea of the vintage? Dies it have a HIN on the stern?

4. renegade32

renegade32 Paddler

I don't know for sure there Dave, but I think Eddylines early boat was a Sandpiper about 16-17'.
    Someone here will know...

R32

5. Yeti

Yeti Paddler

Eddyline still uses a very similar logo on their present day 12' rec Sandpiper,

which was originally a 16 footer when it first came out. Late '70's - early '80's vintage ?

6. Bluefoot

Bluefoot Paddler

Thanks all, for those comments.

I sent the picture to Eddyline and they have confirmed that it is not one of their earlier boats. They suggested we try to find a serial number which could give us a clue as to the manufacturer.

Werner? Is that a company or a designer?

I will keep you posted as to what we find further.

7. Yeti

Yeti Paddler

Werner is the guy behind Werner paddles, Eddyline made a few of his kayak designs when they first got into sea kayaks

8. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Bluefoot, that "serial number" is a Hull Identification Number (HIN), typically embossed or on a riveted metal plate, near the stern. Nowadays "all" commercially produced hulls have them. If the boat is circa 1970 to circa 1985, maybe not.

Not surprised Eddyline does not claim it.

9. Bluefoot

Bluefoot Paddler

Thanks Astoria Dave.

We found a decal inside the cockpit that looks like ESL 00 6672. Will now send that along to Eddyline just in case it is one of their really early models after all.

In addition to the Sandpiper decals both fore and aft on the deck, there is also a decal on both sides that reads Sunline Fiberglass.

10. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

11. Bluefoot

Bluefoot Paddler

We have a kayak maker on Quadra Island (Nimbus) and I asked them if they had seen this design. Jan Bain at Rainforest Designs did a little digging and found that ESL Sunline fiberglass was a company that made canoes & kayaks in Snohomish, WA from 1984 to 1998.

I also found the name on "SEE Kayaks: Businesses : Boat" showing Sunline in 1999 as:
    "manufactures and sells sea-touring kayaks". (The domain name for Sunlineboats.com was shown as for sale.)

Perhaps this mystery is solved.

Thank you all for your suggestions. :big_thumb

12. Yeti

Yeti Paddler

That would have helped right from the get-go and pointed you to the proper builder. Better late than never...

13. Bluefoot

Bluefoot Paddler

Sorry Yeti. I didn't realize the significance of the Sunline decals at the time.

14. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

No harm, no foul, man. You would not be expected to understand the significance of knowing the glasser unless you were already hip to the industry. Absolutely no apology needed.

I am grateful you popped up with that oddball, dinosaur boat. Who knows what all we might learn from your find? Keep on digging. Somewhere under there is a pony, as the saying goes. :wink:

15. Bluefoot

Bluefoot Paddler

Well I think we may be at the end of the mystery. Here is the summary.

Background

• The kayak was owned by an older American gentleman who had lived on Quadra Island, BC for many years before returning to the US about five years ago.
    • My neighbours who now have the boat, and I being the only paddler they know on Quadra Island, asked if I might know anything about this type of kayak. I have only a few years of paddling experience so I volunteered to do a little research.

The Kayak
    • The kayak has decals on the deck at the bow and stern which say it is a Sandpiper 17.
    • It has a "Racelite" rudder.
    • I sent the picture to a local resident who has been involved in the kayak industry for many years. He thought the hatches and rudder are of the style Eddyline used long ago.
    • "Sandpiper" is a model name of Eddyline kayaks so I contacted Eddyline, sending the same picture as initially posted here. They responded that it was not one of their models.
    • There are decals on the side with the name "Sunline Fiberglass". I didn't put much significance to the decals initially but ultimately found out that there was a company in Snohomish, WA that was reported in an old business journal as a company that "made canoes & kayaks in Snohomish, WA from 1984 to 1998."
    • Then we found an HIN# inside the cockpit which reads: ESL 00 6672.
    • As I read the explanation of Hull ID Numbers on BoatSafe.com, the ESL 00 6672 should translate into Company: ESL, Hull Serial Number: 00, Date of certification: June 6, 1972.
    • The Manager of Rainforest Designs (Nimbus Kayaks) and Astoriadave both kindly did some searching and found a reference to Sunline Fiberglass and a contact in old business directories. I then tracked down and telephoned the last listed contact for Sunline Fibreglass. The gentleman I spoke with pointed out that the HIN indicates that the boat was made in 1972 – long before he was associated with the Sunline company. He also noted that the "ESL" prefix was not what Sunline used.
    • I found the following from a publication called "Paddlewise": "Werner Furrer, Sr. (Werner Paddles founder) made a fiberglass kayak he called an "Eskimo" back in 1964 (but didn't go into production with it)."
    • I contacted the Werner paddle company to inquire if perhaps Mr. Werner Furrer, Sr. might have been involved with design assistance to a company with the ESL prefix. They have not responded to the inquiry.
    • Following AstroriaDave’s suggestion I checked with the US Coast Guard's registry but ESL does not currently appear. This, I suppose, is not surprising given that over 40 years has passed since the boat may have been registered.

So that's where we are. Perhaps the boat is a one of a kind prototype? In any case, from what I can determine if the date is correct it may have been one of the earliest composite touring boats made on the west coast.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. If we find anything further I will certainly pass it along.

16. Yeti

Yeti Paddler

From Wayback Machine:

SUNLINE FIBERGLASS 17423 157TH AVE SE
    SNOHOMISH WA 98290
    (360) 794-9736

Greetings.
    I wish to introduce myself, my company, and the quality products I create. My name is Bruce Skog.
    I have been manufacturing and retailing sea-touring kayaks for the past eleven years in the
    Puget Sound area of Western Washington. I am able to work personally with each customer from
    the first contact to the final launch to insure complete satisfaction in your boating investment.

SUNLINE kayaks are strong and durable but light. The results you expect from using the latest
    methods and materials. All hand-laid of mat, tightly woven 18 oz. roving, and polyester resin.

SUNLINE kayaks are equipped with a foot-controlled rudder system which operates smoothly,
    with stainless steel cable connecting the foot gliders to the rudder. The rudder is made of fiberglass
    and stainless steel parts, and is a free rudder which, if it strikes a rock or other object, will bounce
    up and come down again after you paddle over it.

SUNLINE kayaks have fiberglass molded seats and adjustable back rests. The two person model
    has the cockpits far enough apart so it is not necessary for both paddlers to be synchronized.

I market my products with pride and I'm ready to build one for you. If you are interested in more
    information about SUNLINE kayaks, please let me know. I would be more than happy to provide
    you with any additional information you might need.

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience. I can be reached at
    (360) 794-9736. If I am unable to take your call, please leave a message. Thanks for visiting my site.

SUNLINE FIBERGLASS

Owner: S. Bruce Skog
    E-mail: bskog@sunlineboats.com
    ©copyright 1997
    Bruce Skog

17. Bluefoot

Bluefoot Paddler

The mystery continues and may not be solved. :?:

The folks at Werner Paddles got back to me. I had a nice note from the President of Werner Paddles, Bruce Werner, who had a chance to look at the pictures and forward them to others. His note follows.

"I’m sorry to report I have no information to help solve your mystery. No one in the Furrer Family can recall details of your kayak. I will keep the pictures and mail to see if something pops up in the future. I would pass any tidbits your way if so."

If I find out anything further I will post again. In the meantime I thank all that provided input. :big_thumb

18. marko

marko New Member

D7C0DB51-00B7-4D63-AD2C-0BDB52B41A42.jpeg Just picked this up in WA, been trying to find info anywhere, and found this forum. It is a Sunline fiberglass kayak, dating back probably about 35 years according to p/o