sayward lakes circuit

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by DarrenM, Feb 12, 2010.

1. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Anyone done it?
    Favorite campsites?
    Any other info?

2. red kite

red kite Paddler

although having kayaked on amor and mohun lakes i haven't done the whole circuit myself (need to get more canoe experience under the belt for that, imo portages and kayaks only go together to a certain point.)

michel gauthier, who knows the area extremely well, has - in addition to his map of the route - just published a guidebook about it:
    http://www.dogwoodavenue.ca/

3. Gary Jacek

Gary Jacek Paddler

4. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Paddler

I've done it before, in a canoe (of course :cool ) but it was more than 10 years ago now. It was a beautiful trip and definitely one I'd like to do again. No photos for you unfortunately since that was in the days before digital and all the prints I have would be at my parents place in an album somewhere.

Amor lake had a great little island to camp on, and was probably my favourite of the lakes for exploring and swimming. We did the trip in the fall, probably late September or early Oct so it was a bit nippy but I don't think we saw anyone else the whole time we were out there which is a big plus for me.

I don't remember any of the portages being particularly arduous, but again I was in a canoe.

5. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Great info, thanks guys!

6. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

There was a company of unemployed forestry workers who recently won a contract to do work on campsites and access points on the Sayward loop. Not sure what the status of work is though. So look for recent improvements to the infrastructure.

7. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

ok! doing this trip at the end of March :)

Now to decide canoe or kayak......

8. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Leaving Victoria Wed March 31st, returning Monday April 5th.
    If anyone is interested in joining us (four of us) Send me a PM

Canoes hold lots of beer right?

:lol:

9. gtpaddler

gtpaddler Paddler

Sayward Canoe Route

I was part of a group of 5 kayakers that did the long circuit two years ago by kayaks. Three singles and a double. It turned into an ordeal not to be repeated or recommended. A canoe would work much better. Carts for the boats are impossible on some of the portages but real nice back savers on others. The launches were not well marked (lots of searching for take outs and launches) People set their camps up right in the launch sites for real fun getting into the water. We actually missed a paddle portion for this reason and carted our boats by the road for a 2km paddle section. Double kayaks are a disaster when you have to carry it loaded over obstacles. It was fortunate that we had axes and bow saws to open the trail (Victoria day weekend) There were very small and congested launch areas. Nice area for paddling but the portages made it an ordeal not to be repeated. It was recommended for kayaks and carts by an area gov't official that is now mayor up there. Politicians!!!!

10. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Thanks for the insight.
    We will be in canoes for this trip, not expecting too many other people there in April. Never know I guess...

Red Kite, Bought the book yesterday, great info!

11. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

so.... the forecast is calling for rain the whole time we are out there.....

Think a drysuit is overkill/silly in a canoe?
    Should I just wear
    A) goretex paddling pants and jacket?
    B) gortex hiking pants and jacket?