Sea Lion Bitten Anyone?

Discussion in 'Paddling Safety' started by Astoriadave, Mar 23, 2014.

1. tiagosantos

tiagosantos Paddler

I laughed hard when I saw the video, knowing everyone was safe.. But then got progressively angrier the more I thought about it.

My wife worked in wildlife rehab for 8 years and dealt directly with the consequences of human stupidity and interference.. From the seemingly harmless stuff like feeding bread to ducks and geese, to leaving out dog/cat food for raccoons/coyotes, unsecured garbage that attracts bears, etc.

You'd think a video like this would be an eye opener and people would extract some good lessons, but the following day the dock was crowded with people trying to get a good close up shot of the "killer sea lion", as the original video uploader called it.

2. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

People truly are idiots. I've seen some pretty stupid things done around wildlife -- from raccoons to elk to mountain goats -- I'm amazed that so many people are ignorant to the dangers of these "cute" animals.

I'm even more amazed to see the reports of people flocking to the dock where the sea lion pulled the girl into the water the next day. Sure doesn't hold a lot of hope for the human race when we see this type of behavior from adults.

3. pikabike

pikabike Paddler

When three other people and I paddled from Ketchikan to Skagway, sea lions charged me several times, on different days and in different locations. Just when I thought it would ram my kayak, it veered sharply away. No actual attacks.

Modus operandus was for it to burst up from the water behind me with a loud, gaspy "BAHHHHHHH!", which always startled me and made me turn around to look. As soon as I saw its head, it would dive down and I'd see that telltale oval patch of smoother water above wherever it was...moving fast towards me. Then the oval would disappear. Boy, did that make me worry the first couple of times--I thought it was under my boat and would toss it upward. Never happened.

The strange part was they always charged only MY boat, never anyone else's. Since mine was the only plastic yak (all blue) and the others had white or yellow hulls, we thought it might be that the dark, solid color "invader" was viewed as a predator or competitor. Also, I had a 16-ft kayak and the others were 17 to 19 ft long, which maybe marked it as a smaller, more vulnerable intruder. Who knows?

4. pikabike

pikabike Paddler

Close to where I lived for a few years, along the Strait of Juan de Fuca, I once found what looked like a giant bloody red bag with no head. Sort of like a sleeping bag made of muscle. A local whale-watch boat tour company owner told me the non-resident orcas hunted seals and sea lions, not just fish like the homie orcas did. According to him, they eat the seal by biting off the tail, grabbing the carcass and flipping it inside out, and gobbling up the innards.

What I saw was probably the dead seal or sea lion, turned inside out, minus the guts.

5. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

I did see a longer version of the video and it does show someone feeding the sea lion something less than a minute before this clip was taken.

6. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

Dan you are 150% correct!
    People are really stupid when they humanize animals. Any animal can revert to "wild" behavior ", if an instinctual trigger point is presented.
    A cute little bird can attack you and try to peck your eyes out if you get to close to its baby.
    I have seen Swans attack a jet ski. ( the jet skier deserved it )

Roy