• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

SealSkinz or other waterproof socks- your experience and advice, please!

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
The 'feet' in my drysuit have started to let a bit of moisture in - I've checked for pinholes and holes along the seams but haven't been able to solve the problem.
Some friends wear Chillcheater 'rubbery' socks over their insulating socks, so that's a possibility.

Do you have experience with SealSkinz socks?
https://www.sealskinz.ca/collections/socks
These look a lot like 'regular' socks in the pictures, but are advertised as waterproof.
They are quite expensive, so I'd rather not make a mistake with a purchase.
Any advice on sizing, durability, model choice, etc. would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

The 'feet' in my drysuit have started to let a bit of moisture in - I've checked for pinholes and holes along the seams but haven't been able to solve the problem.

Had the same problem - I basically just coated the entire sole of the Gore-Tex socks in my drysuit with a thin layer of Aqua-Seal; it's not like the bottom of your feet breathe much anyway pressed against the bottom of your neo dive boots or whatever.

Do you have experience with SealSkinz socks?https://www.sealskinz.ca/collections/socks

I've got a couple of pairs, but they must be much older models because they don't look anything like what's showing up on the website. I like'm. I wear them over wool socks and inside the Gore-Tex socks of my drysuit in winter to add warm and as a backstop in case of seepage through the socks. They're also nice over wool socks for winter/cold weather cycling. The ones I have have a black fabric outer layer, a cottony feeling white inner layer, and sandwiched between what feels like a bread-bag thickness membrane. So I believe some of their warmth comes from a sort of semi-VBL effect.

I have had a pair of Rocky Gortex oversocks for years (They don't see a lot of action).
When I have used them they seem to work very well. Most often on summer paddling trips in combination with socks and sandals (gasp!) to avoid bringing extra footwear. Seem pretty tough.
I have worn them inside leaky waders while fishing.

Upvote for Rocky Gore-tex socks. Got them for backpacking and cycling. They are cut for boots -- not low, not high. As long as you don't step into water deeper than they are tall, your feet stay dry. If you are in a suit with ankle gaskets, they will work if you're careful to smooth out any folds under the latex.

Hello everyone, my name is Philip, and I am a gear addict...

I have the Rocky Gore-Tex socks as well as the Sealskinz. Like a drysuit, they're a wind/water barrier, with no insulating properties themselves. (The Sealskinz have a bit of insulation on their own). The Rockys work well, but if you wear them long term under hiking or cycling shoes, may get holes in them at rub points, which can be repaired with a smear of Aqua-Seal. At a certain point, you'll have a collection of Aqua-Seal patches loosely held together by a net of remaining fabric. At that point, you've gotten your money's worth and should buy a new pair. They do stretch, but go up a half or full size if you intend to put a lot of insulation under them.

I haven't noticed damp feet yet but that's probably because my butt was always wet from seam leaks in that area! Now that those are fixed I might start feeling wet feet since my dry suit is a bit older. Since feet don't need to breathe (or aren't able to) I'll probably just wear what I do cycling-plastic bags over my wool socks. Classy, I know.

Since feet don't need to breathe (or aren't able to) I'll probably just wear what I do cycling-plastic bags over my wool socks.
That's my interim solution.

I have enough trouble now with getting the drysuit socks to 'bunch up' properly inside my paddling shoes; I'm not sure I want to stiffen up the fabric with Aquaseal of other 'Goo' products. Perhaps I'm not imagining a very thin coat of sealant?

Reactions: CPS
I have enough trouble now with getting the drysuit socks to 'bunch up' properly inside my paddling shoes; I'm not sure I want to stiffen up the fabric with Aquaseal of other 'Goo' products. Perhaps I'm not imagining a very thin coat of sealant?

Yup, it is a very thin coat, just barely enough to put a "gloss" on the fabric, and worked as well into the fabric as I can. I wear neo dive booties that are a half size to a full size bigger than my regular shoe size over my drysuit socks; if my outer boots were closer to my normal shoe size, I could see where bunching and creasing would be an issue.

I have a pair of SealSkinz and they were great at the start but now are not very good at all. Perhaps there is a way to Re-condition them.
My next project is to salvage a newer set of latex booties from a worn out drysuit and glue them over the goretex booties (may even just replace them straight up).
Tomorrow I’m going to try the Sealskinz inside the drysuit to see if that helps.

I have a pair of SealSkinz and they were great at the start but now are not very good at all. .......................
Tomorrow I’m going to try the Sealskinz inside the drysuit to see if that helps.
Thanks, Tim.
How were you wearing the SealSkinz before?
Did you find the membrane in the SealSkinz started to leak?

I have worn them over liner socks and inside either low cut neoprene boots or sandals or water shoes. They seemed to be fine the first few times then seemed to soak right through. It worked out okay inside the dry suit with the neoprene booties (Not the high tide ones but the new low cut). I also had gloves and they too got saturated eventually. Not sure if NikWax treatment would restore them. The socks were also kind of bulky.
I have a pair of Reed chillcheater socks on order so hopefully they fit a bit tighter and are waterproof. We have a mutual friend who swears by them.

That's all good to know, thanks everybody.
I've ordered a pair of the SealSkinz and I'll report back once they have (arrived and) had some use.
Chillcheater socks are on my list as well.
A lot of 'clothing issues' are no big deal for day paddles, where things get hung to dry in the basement and I can jump in a hot shower at the end of the day. On a camping trip it's different.

Reactions: CPS
Back