Seymour Inlet Portage - 1985

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by chodups, Mar 26, 2019.

1. chodups

chodups Paddler

In 1985 Randy Washburne undertook a 90 NM trip from Telegraph Cove to Burnett Bay that involved a convoluted route through the crisscross of inlets starting near the Broughtons (Drury Inlet) and exiting through Slingsby Channel. He knew that the route would include a couple of portages but felt that with all of the logging going on back there roads must exist that would allow him to stitch it all together. It didn’t quite work out that way

Today the route connecting those inlets by pack raft would be challenging but not crazy. Doing it dragging a fiberglass kayak is a whole ‘nuther thing. I asked Randy what he was thinking of at the time.

He said: “Thinking?? I was steeped in optimism those days”.

Enjoy - https://3meterswell.blogspot.com/2019/03/seymour-inlet-portage-1985.html

stagger likes this.
  2. stagger

stagger Paddler

Thanks for posting/hosting this stuff! I’m glad it’s not gone from the web.

We stumbled across Randy’s cabin on Triquet Island last summer. Not much shelter there anymore, but a fascinating piece of history.

chodups likes this.
  3. chodups

chodups Paddler

I slept a few nights in it in 2005. It was a mess then but it did keep us dry. I stopped by for a look in 2017 and it appeared that the folks doing the dig around the corner had relegated it to be a giant garbage can. It was funny that the big square white plastic thing that I had hauled up from the beach to cover the back window was in the cabin.

4. stagger

stagger Paddler

5. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

I was just looking at the map and wondered if jumping up into Huaskin Lake and out at the top could also be another circle link to Seymour Inlet for longer journeys:
    HuaskinLk-SeymourInlet.jpg
    the elevation changes are only approx. Way shorter portaging, much longer paddling.

edited to add later:
    [heh heh, you gotta love my math! thank goodness I said approx. - but maybe you arrive at one of the high tides they're known to have up there.]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    chodups likes this.
  6. nootka

nootka Paddler

^ I didn't see obvious access from Huaskin Lake to the logging road (on google earth). And the road might be overgrown.

Here is another option from Sutherland Bay to Nenahlmai Lagoon - 9 km on a logging road.
    I'd want a good set of wheels.

Total elevation gain 355 m, loss 367 m (approx of course).

BelizePortage.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    chodups likes this.