Shipping VHF radio

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by pawsplus, Feb 4, 2018.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

I wanted to bring my radio, which I basically don't know how to use because I live in TN, to the PPS this May, so I can get some practice there and afterwards in English Bay. But I can't put it in my checked baggage because of the battery right?

2. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

Check with your airline, as they usually have battery size limits. Chances are the VHF would be fine.

Or just bring it in your carry on.

3. JKA

JKA Paddler

Take the battery out when carrying it through security at check in.

When it accidentally turns on and gives you an automated weather forecast while your bag is being checked its embarrassing!

At least, that's what I've been told...:oops:

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Paws,

Given how many cell phones are aboard an airliner, all with Lithium ion batteries, most likely, your VHF's battery represents a miniscule increase in risk. This excerpt tells how to do rating calculations for lithium ion batteries, taken from the link at the end of this post, which also has the FAA rules on these batteries:

Tip: Newer lithium ion batteries have the watt hour (Wh) rating marked on them. To calculate watt hours, multiply the battery voltage by the Amp hours (Ah). To learn more about lithium batteries, their restrictions, and how to tell what size they are, go to ... [snip]

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

OK--I will investigate further. When I bought the thing, I had to drive 3 hours round trip to pick it up at this marine store way on the north side of town because they said they couldn't mail the battery. Which is why I'm worried!

6. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Thanks for that link, Dave.
    It looks like 100 Watt-hours is the limit for Li-ion batteries.
    Paws: VHF radio batteries vary a bit in capacity, but they are way below the 100 Watt-hour limit.
    For example, the BP 227 battery pack for the Icom M88 radio is rated at 1850 mAh (1.85 Amp hours), 7.4 volts Multiplying 1.85 x 7.4 gives 13.7 Watt-hours, rounded off to 14 Watt-hours which is what is printed on the battery pack.

So no worries!.
    It is safer to leave the battery connected to the radio IMO - it looks less suspicious to the security scanner folks, you can turn on the radio to show that it works (like turning on your laptop or tablet), and there is no possibility of shorting the terminals accidentally.

Have a great trip and enjoy PPS!

7. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

For mailing within the US, the same 100 Watt-hour restriction applies, according to
    https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22336/html/updt_004.htm
    So the folks at the marine store were incorrect, according to the info I found in a 10 second internet search.

8. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Well, darn them. They made me drive up there TWICE, because then I ordered a spare battery!