Skeg Question

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by Desertboater, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Desertboater

Desertboater Paddler

So I've posted over in the For Sale section about this as well, but I wasn't sure which place was more appropriate. I'm looking to add a skeg to my strip built Night Heron. Does anyone know of a kit for sale anywhere, or possibly an old boat that could be...altered...to remove its skeg and associated hardware?

Cheers,
    West

2. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

Check

Check with the supplier: CLC or Nick Shade for advise on design and placement of a skeg. Nick would best know the boat he designed. He would know where the center of pressure and gravity are. Maybe all you need is a 2 inch blade. Give CLC a call @ 410.267.0137.
    Roy

3. KathyD

KathyD Paddler

4. Halmmark

Halmmark Paddler

5. Desertboater

Desertboater Paddler

Hmm...I like the looks of the superior design, but the price tag is a bit steep...i could probably design and build one myself for that price. The CLC one just looks funny...I'm not sure how I feel about having the top piece sticking up out of my nice strip boat...I will send Nick an email though...hadn't thought of that. Keep the good ideas coming!

Cheers,
    West

6. Kheyashunka

Kheyashunka Paddler

Superior

I installed the Superior kit as well...

Nice chunk of carbon

7. gnarlydog

gnarlydog Paddler

you can use a kit or if you are a bit handy with resins you can make your own one.
    After being quoted hundreds of $ for a locally made (Australia) skeg kit from a kayak manufacturer I decided that it is not really rocket science and made my own.
    Funny thing is that it turned out better than the kit one, really!
    The hard bit was working out where to source the poly tube (housing) for the cable.
    Full details with step by step pictures have been documented at:
    http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com/2009/ ... eg-box.htm

Attached Files:

8. steele

steele Paddler

I used the CLC kit a few years ago on a stitch and glue build. It is not the best looking set up, but has proven to work well, not leak, and has been jam free. Here is my old post:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1250