Skin On Frame For Me!

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by LAM, Dec 28, 2012.

1. LAM

LAM Paddler

Launch Day! I had to get my SOF in the water before KayDubbya got his in! I have been waiting patiently for the weather to bring a Saturday or Sunday that wasn't blowing and snowing. There was a small window of opportunity this morning so we jumped on it. We had planned on launching at Deep Cove but when we got there it was blowing pretty hard and it was pretty cold, so we decided to try Bachelor Cove. When we got there we found the beach access closed to construction so we headed for Whyte Cliff Park. The little bay there was protected from the wind and it was quite spectacular.

Doug gave me some instructions on how to get into a SOF kayak and after trying to do it my own way once I sat up and listened to his directions!

It was pretty tippy! Holy cow, I didn't expect that. After a few minutes of paddling around I started to feel a little safer so I headed out of the bay but as soon as that lumpy water started hitting me I turned right back into the bay. I played around bit, testing the kayak to see where the stability was (if any!). It tracks really nice and it's pretty fast. It feels quite weightless in the water.

I even got comfortable enough to put the paddle down and take a picture of Doug in his new SOF.

I was pretty happy with the fit of my SOF. I didn't get sore or stiff sitting in it. I was able to keep my legs stretched out with my feet on the foot rest and I have lots of room to move my legs around in it. My back was pretty comfortable against the back deck beam. I sat perfectly between ribs and was quite comfortable. I did try a few rolls and couldn't quite finish them. I felt like I was just coming right out of the kayak. I may have to add some wood to my masik (thigh brace) and see if that helps.

Yes, I am a happy kayaker!

Lila

Attached Files:

2. Oldpro

Oldpro Paddler

Lila; Glad that both of you were able to get out in your beautiful new boats! They're gorgeous; and it looks like they'll take you far and provide lots of good time paddling.

Bon Voyage!

Brad

3. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

No fear of that. I only just got my final coat of goop on my kayak this afternoon, so it will be another day or two before I get it wet. All kidding aside, I'm glad you made it onto the water before me. Both of those kayaks look spectacular, and I am truly envious of the time you took to ensure you had such a perfect craft. My own shows the "speed" at which is was built. I just hope it floats... :doh:

4. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

If your Masik is a bit loose you can try using a piece of blue closed cell foam (camping pad) it fill the space between your lap and the underside of the deck beam. It will hold in place fairly well, but comes out easily for exiting the kayak.

5. dr_penner

dr_penner Paddler

Lila, how much does your finished kayak weigh?

KP

6. Stumpy

Stumpy Paddler

Lila, I think most or all sof's feel just a bit tippy when you first launch them, just the nature of the beast. All of mine felt that way, though a couple of them feel almost disgustingly bargey stable, now that I'm accustomed to them... they are my go to fishing boats, and were intended that way. I have heard that most modern paddlers would not be able to keep an original style Greenland kayak upright, due to the concept that the tweakier boats were quieter, allowing more successful hunting.

Looks to me as though both your new boats are not only beautiful on the outside, but, as a custom woodworker, they are meticulously beautiful on the inside as well. Happy paddling!

7. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Yup, when I first paddled my sof, I was amazed at how unstable it felt -- but before long (probably half a dozen outings), it actually felt incredibly stable -- probably mostly due to my learning to completely relax while in it.

This has been an epic journey watching you construct your kayak, Lila. There's going to be a bit of a void now that I won't be checking in on your progress any longer. It's been a real treat to watch you do your build -- and see the success that it's turned out to be. I know full well how much effort and time you've put into taking photos and writing about each step of the way -- it's much appreciated and thank you very much for sharing the experience with us.

I hope that we'll get lots of photos and stories of the places that this boat is going to take you.

8. LAM

LAM Paddler

Dan, thank you for such nice comments. I have to admit that reporting my build on this forum was actually helpful to me. It gave me an opportunity to go through my diary notes and sort of put together in my head the steps I completed each day. It gave me a better understanding of each task as I finished it. Also there are some members of this forum that have such a wealth of knowledge and are so quick to assist and share their experiences. They make posting here easy and they make fixing mistakes easy too!

Dr_Penner, total weight finished is 35 pounds. Nice and light...easy for me to pack alone if I have to.

Thanks!

Lila

9. Stumpy

Stumpy Paddler

Lila, I would like to add that the detailed explanation you provided serves to remind those of us who have built many kayaks, that there is a learning curve that we all had to go through. Often, after you've made a few, you forget the thought processes you had to go thru to get to where you are today, and it's easy to become frustrated, trying to teach, show or explain to someone who has never built a kayak, just what you've done to achieve a result. I've built a few kayaks as a tutor to friends who wanted to build their own boat, and am currently considering an offer to teach a class for building; I can assure you that, especially due to your detailed thread, I will, if I accept the offer, approach it with a more open mind, and less frustration. Thank you for that!

10. Roy

Roy Paddler

Hi Lila,

I've been following your build with interest as I've built several SOF baidarkas and I have to admit that your level of craftsmanship is outstanding, way beyond any of my efforts.

Finally you launch for the first time and I discover that you're in my back yard. Maybe we'll meet up on the water one day.

Happy paddling.

11. RoyN

RoyN Paddler

Nice looking qajaq. If you're not busy the weekend of June 6-8, 2014 come to Washington for SSTIKS. I know a few people who can help you with rolling your qajaq. If you have a fairly reliable roll in another kayak, I've found the problem is usually the person lifting their head way too early, but would need to see you roll to help diagnose the problem(s) you are having.

12. LAM

LAM Paddler

Once again all of the comments posted here make me so happy I have shared with you. Stumpy, if you were standing next to me I would wrap you in a big bear hug...

Roy, small world hey? It would be nice to meet in our local waters some day. We are so fortunate to have such beautiful places to go. Whyte Cliff Park is a favorite of ours.

RoyN, Doug and I are going to do our best to take those days off work and head down there for SSTIKS this year. Do you have any idea when registration for 2014 will begin? Does it fill up pretty fast? I hope to have a lot of rolling practice between now and then. Hopefully I will be ready to learn some new ones there!!

Lila

13. Maddie

Maddie Paddler

What a beautiful boat Lila! I LOVE the colour!

It's been so much fun watching your build, and I am so happy that you are finally able to paddle it!

14. windancer

windancer Paddler

Lila

Just an incredible job, CONGRATS, it's beautiful. I too am so happy that you are finally able to paddle it!

Terry

15. RoyN

RoyN Paddler

16. RoyN

RoyN Paddler

Saw a posting on FB that SSTIKS registration is open. NOTE: If you plan on camping at Twanoh State Park, you will need to make reservations for a camp site.

17. LAM

LAM Paddler

Thanks Maddie. I am so happy that I stuck with my first choice. I LOVE it too!! :lol:

Thank you Terry for your kind words. And Thank You RoyN for the information on SSTIKS.

Lila

18. GeroV

GeroV Paddler

Lila,
    gorgeous boat. I just read your story from start to finish (twice) today and thoroughly enjoyed learning about the process through your success and your lessons. I'm about to start a SoF for my daughter, and it will probably be on a similar scale to what you've done.

How are you enjoying the boat now that you've had a summer to paddle it? I noted in a couple of pictures that you had a large printed plan on the wall - can I ask where you got that as that would be helpful for my build.

I also note that you guys live in/around Vancouver. My sister lives there and we've been to Whytecliffe Park numerous times. What a nice place to paddle.

Gero

19. LAM

LAM Paddler

Hi Gero. sorry I haven't responded sooner... Doug tells me he picked that up at Ecomarine (Granville Island in Vancouver) It is a detailed diagram of a Qajaq with the Greenlandic terms/names for all the parts.

Lila

20. GeroV

GeroV Paddler

Hi Lila,
    thanks very much. I'll give them a call, or call my sister - she has no problems running down to Granville Island :cool :cool

Happy New Year,
    Gero