Skin-on-Frame Surfyak ('sofistry') - Design / Build

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by mick_allen, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I've suffered a sore thumb on more than one occasion -- I'll be trying this method on my next build.

One question Mick, if you back off the tension does the syringe drop out of the caulk gun?

2. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

with the other type of gun where i back off on the tension all the time - i use a 2 oz (60cc) syringe body that stays INSIDE the clk gun frame. i then just run 4 or 5 in of masking tape around the syringe body and the clk gun. keeps everything in place.

this 10cc syringe in the pic was a little unexpected, but if i used the other caulk gun, i'd just use a spring clamp on the syringe body so it wont back out.

3. Dan_Millsip

Incredible job on the coaming Mick. It's always fun to watch your innovative approaches to difficult problems.

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

That coaming base is very impressive. I don't think I would have the cojones to tackle a project like that.

5. mick_allen

Thanks dan and dave,
    I guess it's like finishing where 90 % of the job is in the setup. Once you get the setup, the rest is fairly straight forward work.

But it sure was satisfying to get a technique that seemed to work fairly well. It sure looks cool in place - but i/m holding off on taking any full view progress shots untill i get the ribs in place.

6. thief

thief Paddler

On Boatertalks Surf kayak forum there are a few guys who have gotten into making their own surf boats....i posted up a link to the gallery for the skin surf boat to show them what else is out there.........there is a request to make it into a folder....funny idea..........
    any latest pix of how this is coming???
    rob (watching this from afar in RI)

7. mick_allen

there was a fire in darren's shop and sofistry was about 5' away from where it all started. Someone turning around in the driveway called the fire department and most everything was saved except for a bunch of materials.

Sofistry just had pools and drips of rubber/plastic all over it from the heat melting overhead wires and such. However the shop is out of commission for a few months and i've moved the project to my already filled carport.
    I/ve been working on my other boat for the little while for an upcoming weekend trip and so will get back to sofistry next week.

now:

A while back, i took one of my stitch and glue playboat designs ('specious') - and as an exercise, redesigned it to see how i would approach it as a folder.

I simplified the panels, detailed how and where the hdpe sections would be placed (they are not all orthogonal as in most other build projects), spent some time detailing how the bow and stern tubing would interlace and tried to come up with the difficult issue of how the cockpit skin would shape around the very difficult cockpit region - this approach will 1st be tried in 'sofistry'. heh heh.

anyway here is the folding playboat design 'tubular' - 7'-0" x 26":

[​IMG]

http://www.orcaboats.ca/photopost/water ... p?file=118

for some reason the photo doesn't show here, but if you click the link, you should see it.

8. thief

thief Paddler

ahh..i did not realise that Darren's shop was where the surf boat.....hard to put name to boat and face all at once over the internet....ugh...
    tubular is looking quite neat!!!!!!should carve well with that tail!
    r

9. mick_allen

for those who didn't follow the link, here's the pic of tubular - a folding playboat: 7'-0" x 26".

[​IMG]

in thinking about a sofistry as a folder, it probably would be very difficult to find a good way to allow the yak frame to slip into and then tighten the rear portion. so it just might be a little wrinkly.

10. mick_allen

and after a short (heh heh) hiatus, this build is continuing . . .

the pics shows taking off the rib end angle from the rails:

[​IMG]

11. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

...although there is actually no real evidence of such...
    :lol:

12. mick_allen

kasey, you nasty little girl:

i saw this earlier on today and just chuckled away - it really is too good to respond to!:

"speared by my own spear!"

13. Dan_Millsip

LOL. It does appear, however, that a number of new progress photos have been added to the Sofistry build album in the Boat/Accessory Building section.