Skirt for a Sterling Illusion

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Alana, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Alana

Alana Wave Seeker

Any other Illusion owners out there?

I'm looking for a taunt skirt that won't implode on me, with a fitted tunnel.

I have a Snapdragon skirt with a large deck, but it's near impossible to get on myself, and it leaks at the sides of the coaming. I also have a Snapdragon with a medium deck that came from the previous owner of the boat. That one is easier to get on (no idea why), but the sides of the skirt also come loose occasionally.

Neither Brooks or Seals have the Illusion listed on their fit lists.

Any suggestions?

2. Reef

Reef Paddler

Strange on the fit between the sizes. The Trek series I find so flexible that I can use it on many boats, while the Exp is sometimes so stiff that many have trouble getting it on. Is that the problem between the sizes? The Exp has the reinforced rand. Beefy.
    Warren Williamson paddles an Illusion in challenging waters, he may be a good resource. But remember that Sterling makes several diff sizes (3?) of cockpit, to fit individuals. So maybe confirm dimensions?

3. Reef

Reef Paddler

Strange on the fit between the sizes. The Trek series I find so flexible that I can use it on many boats, while the Exp is sometimes so stiff that many have trouble getting it on. Is that the problem between the sizes? The Exp has the reinforced rand. Beefy.
    Warren Williamson paddles an Illusion in challenging waters, he may be a good resource. But remember that Sterling makes several diff sizes (3?) of cockpit, to fit individuals. So maybe confirm dimensions?

4. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

5. t.george

t.george Paddler

I'm using a whitewater "Wildwasser" randed skirt that came with a fiberglass reinforcing bar,(that I'm no longer using, not needed), in my Reflection, sized "super" for the cockpit. Great skirt for surfing, has never imploded even on the biggest beat downs, doesn't come off unless I want it to. A bit of a pain to put on in a hurry is the trade-off.

Suggest you take your boat & try skirts so you know what kind of fit you'll get. You could call Sterling & see what's recommended.

All the best, tOM

6. RoyN

RoyN Paddler

Order direct from Snap Dragon. They have on-file a custom deck for Sterling's kayaks (Illusion and Ice Kap) that you should be able to order with a tunnel sized for yourself.