So much learning! Sea Kayak Georgia symposium

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by pawsplus, Nov 13, 2017.

1. nootka

nootka Paddler

White hulls are problematic as well, they look like breaking waves.
    I believe that's why Wayne Horodowich ordered a kayak with an orange hull.
    [​IMG]

Astoriadave likes this.
  2. designer

designer Paddler

When I first got into kayaking, the instructor (who gets a boat for free-ish) said not to worry about running the bow up on shore. So I'd drive up on the shore. Until I finally wore the gel coat down to the fiberglass. That boat was repaired and sold, but these days I endeavor to come in with a sharp turn parallel to the shore line. No more running the bow up on the sand (which on Washington beaches just means smaller rocks).

That said, a person who repairs boats noticed my unhealthy attention to an unblemished hull, told me that scratches (not deep gouges) are just smile lines on a boat. I try to remember that but I still cringe when ever I hear a "crunch" or see color on rocks close to shore.

I think your boat is beautiful and just fine.

Also, I once asked a guide what I should work on in order to participate in trips they offer. She told me that if I could paddle at 3 mph (maybe it was knots) for 3 hours I would be able to participate in any trip. You are certainly more prepared than a couple of people I occasionally paddle with and they've been on the water for several more years.

I can understand the desire for the BCU rating and I think their assessment - if truly based on the boat you had during the seminar - was ridiculous. When working with a XC Ski instructor, she told me that speed was least important (but not unimportant). Most important was empathy with the others in the group. Awareness of their condition and the situation. I quit being concerned with speed when I realized I had to stay with the slowest person in the group. I was assigned the "caboose" position to drill it into me. The fact that the group you were with left you "behind", in my mind, more a mark against them. I think someone should have dropped back so you had a partner nearby.

Astoriadave likes this.
  3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Great post, Designer. Those touchy feely skills and notions sure can turn a cranky group into a happy one. And I think somebody who likes me is more likely to make sure I get to camp safely. I am not a good group leader, partly because I get grouchy.

4. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Exactly!

Astoriadave likes this.
  5. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Yeah--it was just me, one other assessee, and the assessor. The other assessee is a friend and I could tell he was confused by the assessor's leaving me. I told him to go on though, as I was worried that it would affect him negatively. I wasn't THAT far behind--and honestly, I wasn't going all out because I had no idea how long we'd be out there or how rough the water was going to get, and I thought that going for broke didn't make a lot of sense. Anyway, the whole thing was kind of confusing, based on what I thought I knew about group dynamics.

6. Tangler

Tangler New Member

I don't think there was anything wrong with your knowledge of group dynamics (or your decision making in the circumstances), just the group leader's execution of basic group protocol.
    When I was instructing it was considered the group leader's responsibility to make sure the group was together, even if that meant reining in the faster paddlers. Sounds like he failed the test!