Social Club With a Paddling Problem

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Tatlow, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Tatlow

Tatlow Paddler

:clap: We of the Maple Leaf territory are often seen as being too humble to give a shout out to ourselves. Let me try one. Yesterday, as part (loosely) of the Take Back the Beach Initiative (clean up our shorelines) the Nanaimo Paddlers did their bit to alter environmental abuse and contribute to a positive example of citizenship. A fair chunk of our membership leap-frogged (new word from an ancient Inuit vocabulary) around Newcastle Island and conducted a cleanup of debris. The usual culprits were detained and sent off to imprisonment in recycling depots and sadly, landfills.There were copious amounts of styrofoam and plastic as one might expect. Some of the unexpected, well, this is afterall a family forum...So for a few hours the 7.5 km +/- of this park jewel has a relatively pristine appearance. To all of those who came out from the Nanaimo Paddlers and all those of you who did likewise in your areas of expertise, be it in Vancouver, Victoria or Iqaluit, well done! Ya see, being part of a social club with a paddling problem can be really beneficial - join a club today. :big_thumb

2. reanne

reanne Paddler

Awesome :)

3. Tatlow

Tatlow Paddler

Appropriate to add in a picture of our efforts to some extent. The kayaks served as feeder boats with Captain Hook's shore bow vessel as our Flotsam Queen...

Attached Files:

4. Tatlow

Tatlow Paddler

Sooner or later I will learn to upload to this site properly. #2 of 2 pics of Captain Hook's Queen of Flotsam

Attached Files:

5. reanne

reanne Paddler

I have often thought that it would be great for kayakers to join forces with Surfrider for a beach cleanup (Surfrider does a cleanup at a different beach the first Sunday of every month, plus emergency cleanups in between if a beach is noted to especially need it). (No Surfrider chapter in Nanaimo)
    That's a big haul of stuff off the beach!!!

6. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

:clap: :clap: :clap: THANK YOU Nanaimo Paddlers! :clap: :clap: :clap: :mrgreen:

7. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

:big_thumb :clap: :clap: :big_thumb

8. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

That's fabulous; these organized cleanups can really make a difference! :big_thumb

I always end up picking up garbage when I'm out paddling...a grocery bag here, a can there. I tuck them under my bungies until I reach shore. I just can't paddle past floating garbage. I know it is just a small thing, but if everyone did it, it might make a difference.

I was just walking the pier in White Rock on Sunday during the windstorm. I was wishing I was in a kayak, as there was a lot of floating garbage...plus the waves looked fun! :twisted:

9. Kermode

Kermode Paddler

Well said Jurfie! We don't only need to do this when paddling, we often pick up & dispose of garbage when out walking, shopping etc I just wish the yobs who think nothing of discarding litter would wake up, but I don't think we'll ever convince them otherwise.
    Well Done! & Thanks to Nanaimo Paddlers for their efforts :hug & to anyone else who tries to clear up the crap left by others. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

10. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

It's much larger than the difference it makes in the garbage that's out there. It demonstrates an attitude and a respect. Respect for the environment, obviously, but also respect that others appreciate clean surroundings. An attitude that is the opposite of "it's not my job/problem", it takes some responsibility in your surroundings. It also sets a great example for others. They might not follow your lead right away, but maybe some day they will.

I have organised and participated in several clean-ups of the South Saskatchewan River through Saskatoon via the Saskatoon Canoe Club, and at times I have picked garbage alone or in the company of only a couple of others.

Cheers,
    Bryan

11. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

Hats off to the Nanaimo Paddlers Club, Well done :clap: :clap: :clap:
    I am also a part time garbage picker when out paddling, and if we collect too much at a beach, we at least pile it up way past the high tide line, as one of my main concerns is trapping and killing sea and bird life in plastic gunk. Last trip, we even enlisted a power boater (who was just as disgusted as us) to cart out two 5 gal pails we filled, they are not all bad, just the bad ones...
    Just one little bit of trash at a time, times 10000 people does lots
    :big_thumb