• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

SOF Kit recommendations?

jbj_bc_ca

Paddler
Can anyone recommend a skin on frame kayak kit? I would like to work on another boat this winter, but don't have a workshop or garage now - just a living room. I thought an SOF kit might be the least messy project.

The only kit I've found so far is from Black Dog Kayaks (http://www.blackdogkayaks.com/). Can anyone comment on them? Or suggest any other kits? This might be a boat for me, or it might be for my 8 year old daughter. Thanks for the help.

sof's are so simple, that i really wonder if a kit is necessary. If you cannot cut the wood, i bet you could get orca boats to cut the dimensional lumber you want and then you cut to length req'd with simple hand tools.

i'd just buy one of the many books, choose one of the many yaks and ask questions.

Have you ever seen Tom Yost's website?
www.yostwerks.com
I used this information to complete a Sea Flea for my children.It was fairly easy, very inexpensive, and a great father/children project.

kelly t

Back