SOF Seabee13 Build

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by Iwannapaddle, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

Thanks Stumpy for the info on the WB Poly and stains/dyes. Mr. B wants to keep his kayak a "natural golden/brown" so we'll have to see what tints we can get for that.

I am not that confident about trimming down the stringers/chines - they seem so fragile already at 3/4" x 3/4 " ??? :shock:

Mizz Vee - the "artist" in this relationship already has some ideas of what her kayak will look like, watch this space :) :)

I bought some seadog braces and fitted them last weekend - I must get some more photos posted too.

I am going to start soon on my Seabee and hopefully we'll be finished all 3 by the time summer rolls around.

2. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

Uhhhh,,, it's been months since I posted - where has the time gone? :oops:

We have been forging along with building with all three Seabee's nearing the stage of skinning.....

The garage is looking somewhat "busy"....

[​IMG]

Kayak #3 went together so much quicker than #1 and #2 - hindsight is foresight !!!!! :cool

Things we have learnt as we have moved along........

Good wood preparation is definitely an advantage before any gluing and assembling is started.
    - Sanding, trimming/rounding the edges of all the chines/stringers to take off those sharp edges (with a router) beforehand is a must :oops:
    - If one is going to peg and lash all the joints - leave the lashing until last - this time around I used plastic cable ties in abundance to secure all the joints......

[​IMG]

I purchased an inexpensive little cable-tie "gun" which made it so much easier securing and tightening all the cable ties.

- I have not yet installed the desk stringers - it makes it so much easier to seal/varnish the wood and cut and fit the floatation.

- The "lashing" - sealed with a coating of epoxy - will be the last item to be completed before skinning

We have been contemplating dyeing the ballistic nylon before sealing it with urethane although am a little apprehensive whether the urethane will take to the dye?

Looking at the 21st Century Kayaks Site http://www.21stcenturykayaks.com/feedback.htm I see a few people have sprayed on RIT Dye before sealing with polyurethane.

Any thoughts on this?

Mr. B would like to dye his a natural skin-hide color, whereas Mizz Vee - I know - would LOVE to have a brightly colored tie-dye kayak :)

3. Stumpy

Stumpy Paddler

RIT dye will sort of work, but it is not really designed for nylon, but there are some dyes that are specifically made to dye nylon fabric. usually, it is done with a spray mister after the skin is sewn on, with someone following behind with a heat gun, to dry and shrink the skin. See www.skinboats.org for details. I usually mix anyline dyes in with the first two coats of wb lpu, which I thin 50/50 with water, then paint on top of that, if I want more graphic design, using acrylic mixed with the wb lpu. Tye dye might be best done prior to sewing, then add some more color, if desired, to make the seam colors blend better.

4. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

Thanks Stumpy,

You're a wealth of good information for us amateur builders out here.....

I'm intrigued by your "mix" of 50:50 water for the first couple of coats....

Blemishes and blotches when staining the skin - well, if one is going for a skin-hide/rawhide texture finish - all the more authentic wouldn't ya think??? :big_thumb

5. Stumpy

Stumpy Paddler

I must give credit to Jeff Weiss, from Target Coatings for the idea of 50/50 reduction of poly on the first two coats. I would have thought 20% reduction would be enough, but he had no problem going up to 50%, and he's much more of a chemist than I'll ever be.
    It's always kind of a surprize as to what a dye job will do, once you finish it, set the kayak on the rack, and leave it alone for a while. I just pulled one boat out the other day, that I had dyed a light espresso brown, had a really even color to it when I put it out there, three snowstorms ago, and, when I turned it right side up, the entire deck now has a rippled effect, similar to fiddleback maple... I now love this kayak even more!!!

6. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

Interesting that those dyes take on a life of their own stumpy :)

7. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

We're making progress :)

My apologies for not posting anything for weeks now

A couple of weeks ago we started "skinning"

Attached Files:

8. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

The start of the skinning process......

We have chosen to use the `closed seam`method along the decks, using some weed-trimmer line as the piping.
    It`s ideal for this purpose albeit it a little difficult at first to get lined up, but once in place is great to work with...

Thanks to DarenN a few years ago for showing me this method when i was rebuilding my old double....

Sorry - no photos of the tugging, pulling, grunting, sweating, cursing to get the stern pocket over and on......
    First time around we tacked the pocket about 4 inches short of the length of the kayak - after about 30 minutes of tugging and doing everything we could, there was NO WAYS we were going to stretch the nylon that much :oops: :oops:

So we pulled that stitching out and re-sewed the pocket about 2.5 inches short of the full length - muccchhhhhh better :)

In the interim I have moved along too with MizzVee`s Seabee......

I have chosen to use stainless steel staples to secure the nylon around the cockpit opening - tacking it up first and pulling it tight before stapling has helped get the tautness as required.

Weère getting there... :)

Attached Files:

9. Stumpy

Stumpy Paddler

That tugging and stretching part is always a challenge... I finally learned to cheat, and sew my skins 3 1/2" short, then hose the whole thing down to relax the nylon, which makes the streching sooo much easier, I'll hose it down once or twice while sewing as well. since it removes the need to shrink the skin later.

10. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

Wow! That looks like a lot of work and patience! I don't think I would try to build and SOF.

11. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

Heck, I could have just left it outside today, it's been raining all day :shock:
    Par for the course for British Columbia this time of year.

Hmmmm... not really :cool

I think a lot less work than doing a stitch-n-glue

Ahhh I am SO LOOKING forward to our vacation this year..... :lol:

We have just booked a week at the Desolation Sound Resort in Mid-July :clap: :big_thumb
    http://www.desolationresort.com/

12. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

I took boat #1 out into the garden yesterday and soaked it with the garden hose - stage 1 of shrinking the skin :)

By the late afternoon it had tightened up really nicely.

I left it out overnight so of course now it has gone quite soft again, although a couple more days of that and it should be ready for the final steam-and-iron or heatgun shrinking.

A quick snap of progress on kayak #2 and #3

Attached Files:

13. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

Well, almost done - a couple more topcoats of polyurethane to go and a few fittings......

Shrinking the skin.....

The "spotty" kayak on the left - I took the easy way - soaked it outside with the garden hose and then let it dry naturally - twice-over.

The green kayak, I wet it with a spray - really well, then force-dried it with a heatgun and clothes iron.....

It looks like the slow, natural drying process gave a better, more even finish.

After much delibiration, for the coating/sealant I simply used a couple of coats of Varathane Exterior Polyurethane, a couple of coats of Benjamin Moore's "Collection" exterior Acrylic Latex and then a couple more coats of Polyurethane.

Now to find some latigo for the decklines, attach the coamings and hatches and we're ready.

Summer is here

Attached Files:

14. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

I mentioned before that I would make available the layout drawings that I drafted for the Seabee13:

Original Dimensions:
    http://www.freakflag.ca/images/kayak/seabee-original.pdf

Modified with raised deck:

http://www.freakflag.ca/images/kayak/seabee-modified.pdf

As mentioned before - these layouts are not 100% accurate - but good enough to build from.

Disclaimer - I cannot be held responsible for any "wonky" kayaks built from these - please check all dimensions and building instructions against Tom Yost's Website

http://www.yostwerks.com/WoodSOFMain.html

15. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

A few photos while on vacation on the Sunshine Coast

Unfortunately our paddling has been curtailed for a few months - Miss Vee broke her wrist while we were on vacation - a nasty little wave toppled her just as she was getting out of the kayak - she tried to stop herself being dunked and her hand slipped on the wet rocks and ...craack..... :roll:

Mister Gee has been plagued by a frozen left shoulder and a hernia operation

Attached Files: