????Spring WCP Get-Together?????

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by candikayak, Jan 6, 2011.

?

Where Would You Prefer To Go

1. Portland Island

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wallace Island

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sidney Spit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Deception Pass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Pirate's Cove

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Blackberry Point

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

Happy New Year to Everyone.......I know the New Year has just barely rolled in, but was wondering if there are any thoughts of where and when for this years Spring get together ???? Anxiously awaiting.

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Any weekend AFTER April 2 should work for us! Don't even bother trying to talk to me before then though - lots going on!

3. scott_f

scott_f Paddler

I'm game. Last year was fun. The sooner we can agree on a date, the sooner I can book time off work.

4. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Will be there too. Hope Andreas will show up as well.

Westcoastwilli from Austria will be in the area for the last week of April, hoping to participate as well, soo good time for him would be the weekend of April 22 to 24. Some Gulf Island paddling after that.

5. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

I think that Westcoastwill is coming the furthest so we should try to accommodate him! It's about time that the rest of us meet him!

How would Blackberry Point be for a group? I paddled some of the area one day and would like to explore it some more. Not sure how good the facilities are. I think we did talk about Blackberry Point at one point in a previous year.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2860

6. west_coast_russ

west_coast_russ Paddler

Blackberry Point gets my vote right off the bat. There are a lot of great spots for those of us that use Hennessey Hammocks as well as all you "ground dwellers".
    The sunsets are amazing, there is a beach with oysters just down the way, a very acceptable outhouse and fires are allowed as it is not a government campground.

7. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

My vote is for Blackberry as well.

8. Maddie

Maddie Paddler

I can go only if it is the weekend of the 15th-17th.

April is a busy month this year!

9. rider

rider Paddler

+1 for Blackberry. Good excuse to finally see the place.

10. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

If you guys do Blackberry, dont forget to hike Mexicana Hill, and explore the caves !!! (there are a number of very cool caves to explore... take a headlamp) - just dont fall ... there are a few deer skeletons of animals who did not see the hole.

11. scott_f

scott_f Paddler

I haven't been to Blackberry yet either. That gets my vote.

12. WGalbraith

WGalbraith Paddler

My son and I are keen for Blackberry point and since I am on vacation for the middle of the month, it works well. The idea of sitting around a fire at night telling kayak stories really appeals to me. It is just not the same staring into a candle set on a rock ( Other Gulf Islands Parks). Provided with the right dates I will plan to come out for a couple of days at least.
    Reading accounts of other WCP trips has been very entertaining. The photos and trip logs have also inspired some of my adventures. I hope to meet some of you and await a date for the event.

13. lomcevak

lomcevak Paddler

It appears that the only way to park in Tsawassen, and do a walk on to the ferry with kayak cart would result in either a 40 km paddle from Galiano, or 33 km from Long Harbour on Salt Spring. Neither of which I think I'd want to do in one day. (Though maybe the 33 might be ok).

Is there another way to do it by walk on from Tsawassen? If not, how are people from the mainland getting there? Where will you be parking?

14. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Too bad there is no 'round-Salt Spring water taxi service to get a paddler to some convenient launch point closer to Blackberry Point. I suppose some good hearted soul on Salt Spring could shuttle ferry-travelers to Southey Point via motor vehicle, but the gear shuffle would be a bit of a hassle.

The other option might be a vehicle shuttle from Duke Point to one of the short-access launch points on VI (Yellow Point, for example).

Just for the record, I can't make it this year because of family commitments. Wish I could, although the time I joined in it snowed a lot. Probably that kind of karma is not needed! :lol: :roll:

15. WaterMark

WaterMark Paddler

The shortest paddle to Blackberry Point, coming from the mainland, is:

1. Ferry to Departure Bay, then
    2. Drive to Nanaimo Harbour,
    3. Ferry to Gabriola Is.
    4. Drive around Gabriola to launch point near False Narrows (free overnight parking available)

If you don't want to drive, it's possible to paddle from Departure Bay. If you're coming in the evening and don't have time to paddle all the way, an option is paddle across from Nanaimo to Newcastle Is., and launch from there in the morning.

Eyeballing my chart, it's about 15km from Gabriola (False Narrows) to Blackberry Pt., and an additional 18km from Departure Bay to False Narrows. (2km from DB to Newcastle). If paddling from Nanaimo, the safer route is to avoid Dodd Narrows between Mudge and the mainland, instead go through False Narrows (it can be a slog if going against the current, but not especially dangerous), then South down Pylades Channel (which is quite sheltered, and was almost flat when I paddled it).

I remember having to drive a short distance from DB to catch the ferry to Gabriola, but you might want to double check with BC Ferries.

16. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Watermark,

Have you tried launching at Yellow Point? Looks to be about 3 1/2 nautical miles straight across to Blackberry Point from there. The drive from Departure bay (or Duke Point) is not too bad, as a straight shot, avoiding the second ferry and drive on Gabriola.

17. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

Blackberry Pt peaks my interest, a quick look back at last years discussion and it was mentioned that the Cedar Launch was only 10 min from the Duke Pt. ferry terminal which might leave the possibilty for a Van Is. paddler to provide a shuttle. Blackberry Pt. would make it possilble for a Seattle paddler to make it a weekend trip.

If weather is too much a risk I'll be the first to throw Deception pass into the mix :) Bring the family, there's paddling for every skill level.

Dave R

18. west_coast_russ

west_coast_russ Paddler

Another launch site is Blue Heron Park, we used it in July last year.

19. glcwhistler

glcwhistler Paddler

I would drive if anyone from the Seattle area wants to SUV pool?

A get-together sounds like a blast... Someone said Oysters nearby? I feel a Bubba moment coming on... Oyster stew, Oyster stuffing, Oyster shooters, Oysters a la mode, Barbecued, Fried.... Etc..Etc..

A few Martinis and/or glasses of wine sitting fireside with a full belly of freshly caught seafood along with a huge pot of creamy pasta and some steamed veggies to cut the evening chill..... Sweet!!! Count me in..

20. wannabeaduck

wannabeaduck Paddler

Is there a way to get to the camp spot by vehicle? I could probably go kayaking FROM the spot for fun, but probably not able to do the full paddle to get there...