????Spring WCP Get-Together?????

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by candikayak, Jan 6, 2011.

?

Where Would You Prefer To Go

1. Portland Island

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wallace Island

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sidney Spit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Deception Pass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Pirate's Cove

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Blackberry Point

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Quite a few trees around the campground, if I recall it well. Pricing arrangements are strange though. Did not have my attorney with me to interpret their policies, when discussing prices over the phone. Last time we camped there, the price was per pad (they are rather huge, I'd say.) Recently Sidney campground was taken over by Gulf Islands National Park Reserve. In any case we should be prepared to see someone collecting the fees.

So, anyone else interested in Sidney Island? I'm.

2. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Sorry to hear that some great people have other things happening on the weekend in question. I guess that would happen with any weekend though....

So yeah, where to go? I added some more discussion regarding Blackberry Point on that thread and am thinking that it really is still an option. I will just state that here and we could keep any heavy discussion on that thread?

So, we've heard (and my own thoughts on each):
    Deception Pass (some may not have passports...and possible other border problems) Fire? (Dave should know.)
    Sidney Spit (would like to explore that area - is the weather a bit more iffy in April?) Fire? (Greg should know.)
    Wallace Island (pretty small for a group our size) No fire
    Portland Island (always love Portland - and going to Fulford for lunch) No fire
    Pirate's Cove (great area to explore - ?backup option for BB) No fire
    Blackberry Point (I think still a great option) Fire.
    And if someone decided to put up a poll...how about an option to choose more than one 'cause some may say yes to three of them but definitely no to another. I'm actually split between all except Wallace. :roll:

All options require using with care and no trace camping...pack out your garbage and any more that you find and can carry, keep a possible fire reasonable and safe, etc. And FYI, the campouts previously held on South Pender and Portland were all No fire, even in the snow!! :yikes:

3. scott_f

scott_f Paddler

I'm not too keen on Deception Pass. Don't have a passport yet. I'm up for anything else.

So is the April 30 - May 1 weekend solid enough that I can book time off work now?

4. west_coast_russ

west_coast_russ Paddler

I sure hope so, I just booked off the Friday and Monday.

5. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

I clearly sense democracy at work here. See if decision can be made with least amount of pain.

I'm for Sidney Island, with a few days of paddling through Gulf Islands beforehand.

6. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

Before I set up a poll are those the choices you want?

Has anyone considered having two 'Get-Togethers'? One north of the border and one south of the border?

7. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

it looks like the date is set, now the question is for the place.

I would vote for Sidney Spit too.

it is easy to get there, parking is no problem, there is lots of space, even for the HH, a number of nearby islands to explore and miles of great beach for a walk, for fresh food we can make a dash to Sidney.

the sandy spit
    [​IMG]

any visitors?
    [​IMG]

loooots of beach to land a kayak
    [​IMG]

our launching spot: Tulista Park in Sidney
    [​IMG]

servus

Willi

8. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

Fragmentation? Meh! It's not much of a get-together if we're scattered up and down the coast. More of a "get two-gether". Just my $.02.

9. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Why not? It does make sense. Especially if you consider the "crowds" that are coming out to the camp outs each year. Smaller groups mean fewer conflicts and are easier to accommodate in the campsites that are available to us (public venues).

Combine that with the reluctance of a number of people (from both sides of the border) to cross the border and the possibility of having two camp outs does look like a good idea.

Pluses:

- don't have to worry (as much) about other large groups at the venue.
    - if camp outs are held on different weekends, you could attend both if you choose.
    - if you can't make one date, you might be able to make the other.
    - it's easier to get to know people in small groups.
    - don't have to cross the border if you don't want to.
    - there'll be more trip reports and stories to read afterward.
    - breaks things up a bit.

Minuses:

- breaks things up a bit.

Consider also Kelly, that although there could have been a few more tents crammed into Beaumont Campsite, it was pretty full. In the Gulf Islands, there are not a lot of campsites that could accommodate many more people than have shown up at the last few camp outs. The only public place big enough that I know of in the Gulf Islands is at Galiano Island -- and that particular site is closed until some time in May -- at which time it's open to the public. And even if we could get them to open it specifically for a large group in April, you can bet there'd be liability issues to cover.

I think two camp outs make a lot of sense and if the dates don't conflict, anyone could attend both if they wanted. At any rate, I think it's worth discussing.

My vote is for Deception Pass and Portland Island (on separate weekends). :big_thumb

10. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

OOO I second this motion, and the arguments contained therein - especially since I can't make the last weekend of the month. :clap:

11. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

But conflicts make good entertainment! I heard MarkS say something about yo momma.

:popcorn:

Ohhhhhh...that kind of conflict.... :doh:

12. mikec

mikec Paddler

Let me put to rest the group size portion of the conversation by saying that Washington State Parks allows online campsite registration at Deception Pass. And the campsite is HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE. In the time frame folks are looking at it will be verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry quiet down there.

Dan's suggestion of 2 events is the best solution. It allows those of us who do not feel hindered by such minor inconveniences as border crossings the opportunity to play nice with all the kids ;)

Plus, i'm REALLY overdue for a burger and Black&Tan at the Brown Lantern.

13. west_coast_russ

west_coast_russ Paddler

I am good with Deception Pass at the end of April, just need to get my son's passport renewed.

14. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

At Kasey's request I changed the poll. For the record, the poll for which weekend ended like this: 15% for April 16, 27% for April 23 and 59% for April 30. (3,6 and 13 votes respectively).

15. rider

rider Paddler

Pirates Cove has one thing that Sidney Spit or Portland lacks, a chance to go play in the swirlies not tooo far away.

16. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

:roll: Nope...don't blame me for any of this! :popcorn: :lol:

I am good for any of the above...but I've only got one week to devote this spring - so I'm just going to go sit with Darren McQ and wait for a verdict!

17. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

I'm opting for Sidney Spit (I've voted in the poll). Just cause I haven't been there in a while, and I remember nice camping (but brackish water).

18. scott_f

scott_f Paddler

Can someone please explain a couple of things about Deception Pass?

It looks like the camping is not very accessible from the water with Bowman Bay closed the weekend in question. Are the lower loop campsites easy to get to from the water? Is there wilderness camping or is this car camping?

Also, is anyone familiar with the Sidney to Anacortes ferry schedule? The spring schedule is not available yet. And is it easy to launch from the Anacortes side? Thanks.

19. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

AAARGH! Curse you , Voice of Reason!

I can't argue with any of those points. But I've got no chance of attending both weekends and 100% of attending any one, in any location. Woe is me! :cry:

20. stevenf

stevenf Paddler

Yes the water at Sidney is pretty awful. Very salty. Not so bad if you mix a pack of gatorade into it though.

Last time I was there (last july) I think it was $14 a night for camping.