????Spring WCP Get-Together?????

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by candikayak, Jan 6, 2011.

?

Where Would You Prefer To Go

1. Portland Island

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wallace Island

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sidney Spit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Deception Pass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Pirate's Cove

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Blackberry Point

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

Don't be looking at ME as organizer.....lol.....I live up here in the Okanagan and am not a Westcoaster........but I do look forward to seeing you Westcoasters....lol......I have the whole week beforehand off so will probably be paddling up to and including the April 30-May 1st weekend. And as far as I can tell it will be at Sidney Spit. See you there on the weekend.

2. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Hmmm...just spent the past week paddling in Sansum Narrows, on the edge of Haro Strait off East Sooke Park, and at Tofino......and starting to think that Deception Pass may be the "change" that we are, some of us, looking for in the get-together. I was rather stuck on the Gulf Islands so that Westcoastwill could make it - but it looks as if he will miss it anyway. :cry:
    I did find it very exhilarating paddling in currents and rips (and big swells of the west coast) and BESIDE some decent tide races this week!! :clap:

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

For a discussion that started in plenty of time for this year's camp out (thanks Candi), it seems to be taking an awfully long time to come to any firm plans. Let's make some decisions -- there's only a few weeks left to plan.

So...

Will there be one camp out this year, or two?

What date(s)?

Where?

4. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

Dan, to your query, my two cents is it is planned for April 30, May 1 at Sydney Spit, then a fast paddle up to Nanaimo for Paddlesfest and that coincides with the BCMTN grand opening, and a finish in Port Hardy for Orca Season :yikes:
    Personally, I was planning ,and have already booked off for the April 30 May 1 "Leg" to Sydney Spit, as I believe a few others have. I could be wrong :doh:
    Now I'm just having fun with the emoticons :)
    Lets take a poll on who is showing up where?
    :popcorn:
    Hook or Crook Spit me in... Sydney

5. Dan_Millsip

Rod, a date has not been verified and agreed upon yet, nor has the location. And since the Paddlefest is not until the 14th of May it can be a slow paddle to Ladysmith.

There are only a few weeks before the end of April so we need to solidify details asap.

One or two camp outs?

What date?

Where?

6. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

I'm still good with Sidney on April 29th to May 1. I'm also happy with candikayak making the final call (someone has to do it...lol). But since I'm going to have to mooch a ride either way, I'm also willing to take what I can get.

7. west_coast_russ

west_coast_russ Paddler

I am also good with Sidney Spit at the end of April.

8. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

I'm in for the last weekend of April at Sidney Spit.

9. scott_f

scott_f Paddler

The previous poll had the April 30 - May 1 weekend as the clear winner. I think that's why many of us have planned for that weekend (myself included).

As far as location, Sidney Spit may not have the currents to play in, but it has good accessibility for most people I believe. To keep costs down, mainlanders can walk onto the ferry and launch from the Government dock. This doesn't help our US friends as much though.

10. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

Dan,
    Sorry, I Keep thinking Ladysmith is a suburb of Nanaimo, as you personally know, I can barely remember my password. :oops:
    I do live in Vancouver, but like to think of myself as a country boy (hey no emoticon of a bumpkin with straw in mouth) :lol:
    So, you comin'? :big_thumb

11. Dan_Millsip

Fer sure.

12. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

CandiK,
    So if I am correct it is the April 30 to May 1 weekend at Sidney Spit?
    The poll was close, and I have to renew my passport also, vs Deception Pass..or is that another weekend?
    We are all pointing our fingers at YOU as organzier Dan got me good in the fall for the fall campout, last minute shorty at Blackberry.
    Anyhoo, I will be there by hook or crook, need Phil to teach me how to sail my Delta!!
    Awaiting the final verdict

I'm still good with Sidney on April 29th to May 1. I'm also happy with candikayak making the final call (someone has to do it...lol). But since I'm going to have to mooch a ride either way, I'm also willing to take what I can get.
    So I am making a final call (even though I dont understand why me), but the WCP spring get together will be the weekend of April 3o-May1st at Sidney Spit. See you there. I see several of you have confirmed for that date and time already. Thank you.

13. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

Should clarify that a bit......one of the WCP spring get together's will be April 30 - May 1st on Sidney Spit. :clap:

14. Dan_Millsip

So... it looks like Sidney Spit (Candi has spoken) on April 30 - May 1st - in Canada, at least.

Is there going to be a Deception Pass gathering as well?

15. west_coast_russ

west_coast_russ Paddler

Now that the ferry service between Sidney and Anacortes is back in service, it makes a Deception Pass trip more viable for those of us on V.I. Any thoughts to a date for that one?

16. waverider

waverider Paddler

I am still game for a Deception pass campout ( and some big item shopping on the way home)

Pretty much anytime would work too.

17. lomcevak

lomcevak Paddler

I'm in for Sidney Spit on the April 30th weekend. Just not sure what port I'm supposed to be going to on the ferry. I'll be walking my kayak on.

18. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Swartz Bay (the Tswassen-Victoria Ferry) should be nearest. Check what the currents are doing when you put in - they can be strong between the islands south of Swartz Bay, so it may be better to arc outside (to the west) of them if the currents are against you. If they're with you - free ride!
    Otter Bay on North Pender is another theoretical possibility, but it involves a long wheel up and down steep hills to a pay launch at the Otter Bay Marina.

19. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

I may be heading over on Thursday from the Tsawassen Terminal if anyone else wants to join up. I'm going to park at the Tsawassen Band parking and roll onto the ferry. If anyone wants to car pool, I have room for a kayak on my car and would be happy to pick you up on Thursday and return on Sunday. You just need to have detachable cradles to put on my load bars. I'm flexible, time wise, on Thursday. PM me if you're interested.

20. lomcevak

lomcevak Paddler

I don't need a ride, but I may just take you up on heading out Thursday. I'll keep you posted, as my schedule is very flexible, But I should be able to do it.

I too have room on my racks for another kayak. (I'm coming from Maple Ridge) I have foam blocks, so if any would like to chip in for the long term parking I can pick them up anywhere from Maple Ridge to Vancouver including any location south of the Fraser. As I bonus, I can also provide a kayak cart!