????Spring WCP Get-Together?????

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by candikayak, Jan 6, 2011.

?

Where Would You Prefer To Go

1. Portland Island

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wallace Island

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sidney Spit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Deception Pass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Pirate's Cove

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Blackberry Point

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Saturday night pot luck?

2. west_coast_russ

west_coast_russ Paddler

Sounds good to me Dan, I am thinking about making a chili-like dish. Good thing I don't have to share a tent that night!

3. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

Hell Yeah! I hope Phil is going to be whipping up another fabulous dish for us to enjoy.

4. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Everybody good with another wok full of pasta and fresh veggies?

5. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Sounds good to me KayakWriter.

Unfortunately, Maddie won't be able to attend on this date this year but I'll do my best to convince her to bake up some of her mint brownies for me to bring (can't promise that they'll make it the pot luck intact though).

6. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

Ooooh that sounds good Dan. She gave me the recipe but I haven't yet made them. Not sure what I will contribute to the potluck this year.....will be out paddling for the week before....so it will have to be something that wont go bad. Hmmmmmmmmm.........Canned Pineapple ??? LOL :lol:

7. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

So I was reading the last few posts in this thread, and I am getting HUNGRY! :popcorn:
    That'll do fer now.
    This is my first Kayaking Pot Luck, and wondering should we all sound off on what we are bringing, not to duplicate, and know how much to bring (10, 20 100 paddlers!?!?)
    Also is anybody rolling on anytime Friday from Tswassen? I have only done it once to Mayne (Village Bay), want to join the crowd, if there be one on a particular sailing. I still may drive over, there is a marina not far off Swartz Bay Terminal park and launch for $10/boat, cheap and secure.
    Any way, back to food, what do we do ? :doh:

8. lomcevak

lomcevak Paddler

Kinda takes the "luck" out of "pot luck", doesn't it? And I just don't do pot.

9. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

I'm not an expert on pot lucks, but this is how they seem to work:

Unless there is a menu coordinator, each member brings one dish to his/her liking. That creates an element of surprise.

How much? Bring enough food for one person plus perhaps 20% for last minute visitors.

Of course, Sidney Lagoon has lots of hungry crabs. You can bring extra food to feed them as well.

A sample dish from one of the past WCP get together:

Attached Files:

10. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

I'll guess you won't be bringin' the papers then :shock:

11. lomcevak

lomcevak Paddler

By the way, I'll be heading out on Friday, and walking on the ferry. Coming back either later Sunday, or Monday. So feel free to PM me if you wish to connect.

Anyone care to share the geographic co-ordinates of our destination?

12. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Lomcevak, this is fair enough request. Here they are:

48deg 38.11' N
    123deg 19.81' W

Launching is on good beach on both sides of an old pier, within very shallow lagoon.

13. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Oh...what are the options for parking on the V. Isle side? I have to bring a car over as I'm staying over on the island for the next week as well. That Marina near Swartz Bay is called what? And is it $10 per day or what? Was hoping to find some cheaper parking than that but it may have to do. There is something good about arriving back from a paddle and actually finding your car still there. :wink: Free parking and safe parking though, is sort of an oxymoron, though, isn't it? Some of us are going to Portland for a couple of nights first and then on to Sidney Island and then back to the car - so would like to know some more options for parking and then see what tides and currents we can take advantage of. Greg - you probably know all the options, eh? I know that a person cannot count at all on having parking at the govt dock at Swartz Bay....
    Thanks,
    Kathy
    PS...not sure what we are bringing for the potluck but I did find a sale on Lindt's dark chocolate so we can keep our antioxidant levels up!

14. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

Kasey, it is Van Isle Marina, and it is at 2320 Harbour Rd, Sydney. Tel is 250-656-1138. when I initially enquired, they said to park for a weekend and launch is $10.00/kayak, including parking, so for 2 boats it would be $20.00, again for weekend (2 nites). They were really friendly to e-mail and chat with, so Myrie Eaton <meaton@vanislemarina.com> was who I contacted. I am sure they would put your car up for an extra nite, as it is really not busy season yet anyway.
    The marina is not far from Swartz bay, a few minutes drive, just google it.
    Hope that helps, I may take advantage also, if my life/paddling partner joins me, she is the boss... :wink:

15. Jill

Jill Paddler

Anyone know the status of the gate for 2011 at Swartz bay for walk on/offs to get to the launch site nearby? Also are there any currents or danger areas to be aware of? Dont have a chart yet. Hoping to head over Friday and catch the ebb but thats not till later in the afternoon.

16. lomcevak

lomcevak Paddler

Thank you!

So who's going out on Friday (or earlier)? It would be great to connect up with whoever else might be going. I have a rather flexible schedule, so I'm pretty open on when I come and go.

17. lomcevak

lomcevak Paddler

KayDubbya and I are heading out Thursday morning (April 28th). Meeting at 09:00 at the Indian Band long term parking. Anyone else going to join us? I have an extra kayak cart if needed.

18. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

We'll be on Portland Island first, from about Tuesday, April 26th. Then some of us will be going to Sidney Island sometimes around Friday. So, why don't you join us then?

19. lomcevak

lomcevak Paddler

Absolutely! We'll look for you there!

20. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Kathy, I used to, while living aboard in Canoe Cove.

Today I drove by Tulista Park - their long term parking is closed for construction. Town of Sidney has some of the streets marked as "parking for residents only". Marina closest to the ferry requires parking stickers. So, I do not know anymore.

One thing it is for sure: Gulf Islands National Park must be the only one in Canada without ability to park and visit it. The whole situation is embarrassing, really.

Normally my wife drops me off and picks me up for overnight trips.

See you soon on Portland.