????Spring WCP Get-Together?????

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by candikayak, Jan 6, 2011.

?

Where Would You Prefer To Go

1. Portland Island

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wallace Island

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sidney Spit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Deception Pass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Pirate's Cove

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Blackberry Point

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

Why don't you come over to Swartz Bay for a nice relaxed lunchtime paddle and meet us. We could always use the company... We should be there around 1:00 PM.

2. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Good plan. Thursday 1300 at the Gov't Dock. I like the idea, but final say is in Mr. Democrates' hands. So, wait and see.

3. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Canoe Cove Marina says they don't have enough parking for their own members so will not accommodate paddlers parking there but Van Isle Marina says they will - $10 per kayak launch and $10 per kayak landing so $20 per kayak...with no parking fee. One option anyway...
    Kathy

4. Jill

Jill Paddler

You guys heading over on Thursday, are you going to Portland for a night or heading to Sidney island? We are hoping for Thursday 11:00 am ferry. Paddling directly to Sidney Island from Swartz bay area.

5. lomcevak

lomcevak Paddler

Our plan is to go to Portland. I believe we'll be on the same ferry.

6. Jill

Jill Paddler

Sounds good, probably join you guys at Portland. Never been there always wanted to go.

7. lomcevak

lomcevak Paddler

Jill, that would be great. Will you be driving, or walking on? I've got an extra kayak cart if you (or anyone else) would prefer to walk on. Will you be joining Kaydubbya and myself for the paddle over? I'm sending you a PM.

8. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Well, pretty quiet on here and I guess that the potluck will be surprise...but that's fun too! From my viewpoint here, it looks as if a few of us are meeting Greg and Willi on Portland for a precamp as Willi will not be able to make the weekend. Rene and I (launching from our vehicles at Van Isle Marina in Sidney at about 9:30 hopefully) and Willi (may be launching from Swartz Bay)and Greg will all arrive at some time on Portland Island on Tuesday. Thursday there seems to be another bunch arriving from Swartz Bay 11am ferry and launching at 1pm or so. Candi and Norman are touring Saturna and hope to join us Wed or so. We will all migrate to Sidney Island at some point - probably Friday morning...less Willi.

So...who else is coming??
    So far I know that we are bringing a veggie chili (RRW) and banana bread (me) for potluck on Saturday...
    Kathy

9. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Does anyone know....is there water on Sidney Island?

10. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I believe the island is surrounded by water. :wink:

11. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Smart___!! LOL How about drinking water on the island? LOL

12. west_coast_russ

west_coast_russ Paddler

I don''t think there are wells on the island that aren't private - I'm bringing my own water. (and beer and wine)

13. waverider

waverider Paddler

Is there a pub within a short paddle or a walk from the campsite?

14. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Don't quote me on this, but I believe there's fresh (potable) water on Sidney Island. But I haven't camped there in quite a few years so it would be wise to either confirm this or bring your own just in case.

Waverider, there are no 'services' on Sidney Island, but Sidney is only a 45 minute paddle away if you were so inclined. Most places probably close quite early to avoid the seniors gangs that roam the streets well into the night.

15. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

16. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

Yes, I'm pretty sure there is water on Sidney Spit.

But I'd still suggest bringing your own just in case.

Cheers

17. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

I am not gonna miss this trip... chatted with the boss, I have Friday PM (actually late AM off) and ready to go. But HOW do I go??
    Two options, as I am going solo. Wife will not camp under 20C. :kiss Huh?!?!
    Option 1
    Take Jeep to Van Isle Marina, via ferry, it is just me, I do have another space on my rack, if any takers.... just pay your own way, I have the car and gas covered. My plan is to get a 1PM ferry, and be on water by 330PM, from Van Isle Marina. Return home open, late Sunday PM, give or take, flexible on this. I live in Vancouver, about 25 minutes from ferry terminal.
    Option 2
    Use long term parking, roll on, and TRY to find the Gov't dock, and not sure how far it is, also heard it may be closed? I would go with a travel partner, who is familiar with the drill, I just don't wan't to be aimlessly wandering with kayak in tow...if any others are leaving around that time? Let me know.
    My preference is option either.
    The weather looks good for the weekend, might even be spring like :yikes:
    Anyhoo.....any takers, please PM me, or if you have a google map of Ferry terminal where you can show me the Gov't dock?
    Any bit of help....
    P.S. Thinking my famous cornbread for the PotLuck, and ??? :popcorn:

18. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it this weekend after all. :(

I hope that everyone has a great time. Bring back lots of pictures.

19. stevenf

stevenf Paddler

The water on Sidney Spit is pretty awful. Very salty. Not too bad with a package of gatorade crystals mixed in though. I would bring water.

20. lomcevak

lomcevak Paddler

Well, it's getting pretty quiet here on this thread. Looks like some people are already on their way. And me and 3 others are on our way early tomorrow!