Sterling's Progression or Reflection

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by semdoug, Oct 11, 2017.

1. semdoug

semdoug Paddler

I am trying to help a kayaking relative with a new boat purchase. Does anyone here have direct experience in both the Progression and Reflection. Unfortunately, I only have about 15 minutes in each at a demo event, so not much help.

Both boats have well publicized surfing capabilities, but for this paddler surfing is not a primary activity during outings. The main interests are maneuverability and how each handles in lumpy, at sea conditions and in winds. Besides some dimension differences, both boats seem to have similar intended purposes.

2. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

Here is some info I got from Reg Lake back when they were in prototype stage:

"This is the 15'2" Progression, a smaller version of the popular Reflection design. The thinking on this one is a "day boat, play boat" that will give the smaller paddler their independence, as in smaller and lighter to load and carry, not to mention being more responsive on the water. It will have two round hatches, 8" front and 10" rear. The simplicity of this one should equate to faster build times which would translate to a lower cost for everyone.
    The pivot point is under the paddler at the center of balance so like the Reflection this should be very easy to control in all conditions. Waterline length will be about 12'2" for a 100 lb paddler and 13'2" at 200 lbs."

3. semdoug

semdoug Paddler

I have seen that information before but can't remember where; maybe on Sterling's website or FB page. The Progression would appear to be the more appropriate boat and leaning that way, but it is always good to hear/read other experiences.

4. AndyM

AndyM New Member

All of Sterling boats are designed for the above, the Reflection and Progression a little more so (regarding handling surf).

I've got the 'Ice Kap', 'Illusion', and 'Progression'.
    From the brief request description, I think the 'Illusion' would be a good choice - good cruising boat and VERY sea-worthy.
    The 'Progression' is a lot of fun in surf. You can see the 'youtubes' of folks carving around in it. I like to test myself by getting in situations where I get 'beat-up' by the surf. The Progression is like a cork - you can't sink it.

So, as a summary:
    For a long cruising trip (which may or may not involve heavy seas), I'll use the Illusion.
    For surf play the Progression.
    For other play (rolling, etc), the Ice Kap.

5. semdoug

semdoug Paddler

The Illusion and Ice Kap have been ruled out for the simple reason that both models are owned and available for use by/from other paddling family or friends.

AndyM,
    Back to the main question, why did you choose the Progression over the Reflection?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  6. AndyM

AndyM New Member

I guess I can't really comment too much on the Reflection, not having paddled one.
    I 'thought' they were primarily meant for the surf, though I know folks who paddle them for 'normal' use,
    eg, this fellow:
    [​IMG]

a couple other 'compare' shots:
    Illusion, Reflection:
    http://www.yakabout.us/misc/DSC03321.JPG
    Reflection, Illusion:
    http://www.yakabout.us/misc/DSC03322.JPG

My choice for the Progression was because I'm a lighter build (5'9, 140)
    btw, I do use it for more than just surf, the longest (one day trip) was around Cumberland Island (12 hours, 47miles)
    I like the 'difference'. It's very 'responsive' (feels like a whitewater boat, but paddles like a sea-kayak)

7. semdoug

semdoug Paddler

That helps, I'll pass it along.
    Thanks