• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Stern and bow tie downs? YOU BET!

Dan_Millsip

Paddler
First of all, I have to say that this is a bit of an embarrassing tale to tell but there's a lesson to be learned from the errors of my way so I'll tell it here.

I got up for work this morning, strapped a kayak on the roof of my somewhat tired 1995 Ford Windstar van and made my way down the road. I got on the freeway at Langley and headed out towards Abbotsford. Conditions were icy and there was a lot of gusting wind. Maximum speed on the freeway was about 60 kph. Traffic was moderate.

Anyway, what I failed to do before I left home was to put bow and stern lines on the kayak. As I approached Abbotsford the wind was gusting so much that snow drifts were crossing over the highway in huge swirling clouds. As I passed Mount Lehman Road and headed down the hill I could see some big gusts just in front of me. As I went through them, I heard a very feint "whump" and then something caught my eye out the side window -- it was the kayak that used to be strapped to the top of my car!

I stopped the car and ran back to the kayak which was about 100 meters behind me and lying across the road, blocking the entire slow lane. A car had stopped just before the kayak and the driver got out just as I arrived and pulled the kayak off to the side of the road.

I have a set of Thule bars with kayak cradles mounted on the factory rails on my van. The rails had been ripped right off of the car. The entire roof rack assembly was still attached to the kayak!

Fortunately, there was no one nearby behind me when the rack blew off the car. Had there been, it very well could have been a major catastrophy had traffic been any heavier.

One of the people that I work with was driving right in front of me when it happened and she saw the whole thing in her rear-view mirror. She said that the kayak turned perpendicular to my car and kind of "floated" off the back before landing on the pavement a ways behind me. Quite honestly, had I not caught a glimpse of the boat when it left the car, I probably wouldn't have even been aware that it was gone.

Fortunately (again), we did a thorough assessment of the damage and there appeared to be no structural damage -- the extent of the damage was nothing more than gel coat being scraped off. Easy enough to fix.

I'm lucky -- for today, anyway. This situation could have been a whole lot worse. Way worse. Luck was definitely on my side today.

You can bet that I won't be driving my vehicle with a kayak on the top without having bow and stern lines ever again.

Here's a few photos showing the extent of the damage to the kayak:

thasiscrash-01.jpg

thasiscrash-02.jpg

thasiscrash-03.jpg

thasiscrash-04.jpg

thasiscrash-05.jpg

thasiscrash-06.jpg

Holy crap!
I have nightmares about this happening....

Were the contact points on the rack rusted?

Nope. All the contact screws and a few pieces of rack that the screws go through are still attached to the roof. The rails are made of plastic (much to my surprise, I assumed there was a metal frame inside - there isn't), and the plastic failed. It was too dark to take pictures of the rack after work today but I'll take some tomorrow.

Wow that sucks.
I hate driving with tie downs in front of my windshield. I find it distracting. I guess its time to get over that... As I will be even more paranoid now....

bummer.

WOW that's crazy :shock:

i'm glad nobody got hurt

one day i had to fix a boat that got ripped apart from a bow line. the rope came loose and got cought by the front wheel........ the rest , i guess you know how the boat looked after that.
so i hope that every one is using proper tie downs to secure the boat on their roof. ok, i have one more story to tell :lol: one day we sold a little rec plastic boat to an older lady (so far so good :wink: ) i helped her put the tupperware bathtub on her roof (i mean a bare roof) . when i asked about foamblocks she got a pair of slippery little cushions out. well, I said, that's quite dangerous, but do you have some straps to tie down the boat? (of course she didn't). I tried to sell her a few, but she didn't go fo that. Instead, she got out a few pieces of string. Really thin string. Like the kind my wife uses to knit my socks (no, she doesn't have a blog or a website to link to yet :wink: ). I told her at least 20 times that's not safe, and didn't want to let her drive away like that, but she took off with the boat sliding around on the cushions under the string. She didn't make it into the news, so I guess she got home safe... There's some pretty scary stuff out there!

Thanks for the post Dan... I have Yakima racks on my Subaru Loyale and have used a bow tie-down when transporting my boat but I will add a stern from now on.

Wow. Dan, I'm really glad it all turned out so well. Many of those screw-on roof racks are poorly attached, so it was not your karma that was responsible! I don't know how they can get away with stuff like that. They all rate their racks for weight carried, but do not make them for any significant sideload.

Woof. Brings back memories of two surfboards flailing in the air like popsicle sticks, behind the car I was riding in. Neither was mine. :wink: :roll:

Yikes - must have been very scary! But at least no one got hurt......a good lesson though.

So is there going to be a good deal on a Necky 8O

Here ya go...

Passenger side rear -- this is the only thing that was left above the roof line on this side:
thasiscrash-07.jpg

Driver's side:
thasiscrash-08.jpg

Another shot of the driver's side. I think I'll leave this -- it looks kind of nasty and forbidding:
thasiscrash-09.jpg

The rack with what's left of the rails:
thasiscrash-10.jpg

Thule may be interested in those Pics.

A testament as to the strength of their product as well as perhaps giving them some ideas on accommodating for the inadequate factory rack systems pawned off on the masses.

Who knows... you may get some Promo stuff from them.

Wow! Dan unbelievable I always worry about this but mainly in regards to my tie down job, not the actual roof rack. the crappy part is i have the same roof rack as you!!! So i am definitly going to come up with a better system.

If Thule wants these pictures, they can have them. The rack did hold up very well and the failure is definitely the factory rail. But to say that all factory rack systems are bad I think might be overstepping it a bit -- on my 2005 Dodge Caravan, the rack system seems pretty darned good. I have to admit that I did read a couple of reviews of the factory rack system on a 1995 Windstar that were not very positive -- that's why I went with the Thule crossbars.

Dave, there might be a good deal on a set of Thule racks (#415). Interested?

waverider said:
Wow! Dan unbelievable I always worry about this but mainly in regards to my tie down job, not the actual roof rack. the crappy part is i have the same roof rack as you!!! So i am definitly going to come up with a better system.
The Thule rack wasn't the problem -- it performed quite admirably. What failed were the plastic factory rails on my 1995 Windstar. I have no idea what the rack rails are like on your vehicle, but I'll definitely not put my complete trust in any factory rack again. And if you're not using bow and stern lines, I'd highly recommend it.

I have heard of boats without bow and stern ties getting ripped apart on the highway just from crosswinds. Whenever I know I will be on the highway I use a third strap that goes around the kayak and then through the two open doors. I use it in case my roof rack comes off. I always use bow and stern tie downs, even on short rides.

Wow, that's amazing! The pics show the failure of the rail system really well! The positive thing is that no one was injured and that there wasn't more damage.

Hey Dan
Pretty unlucky for this to happen, but amazingly lucky there wasn't a lot more damage done, to the boat, other cars, people, etc. I have always been suspicious of my factory rails (2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara) in that the connections are unknown and concealed, but I never imagined that they could break as catastrophically as yours did. ( I wonder how much the cold temperatures contributed?) This is a wake-up call.

I usually haven't bothered with bow & stern lines when I'm just going across town, at basically low speed, but always use them if I'm going on the highway. I cringe now, when I think that in the summer, on the way to Toquart bay, in order to make room for four of us (and gear/food, etc) inside the car, I loaded a lot of gear (mainly lighter bulky stuff, but lots of it!) into the kayak, while it was on the racks. Yikes!

Back