Sticking My Redfish Seat Down

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by oiddad, Jan 3, 2014.

1. oiddad

oiddad Paddler

Hey guys. I'm due to receive my redfish seat soon and I am interested to see how other uses of this foam seat have attached it to the hull of their yak? Velcro? - How and what way? Glue? - what type and how much?
    Cheers.

2. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I attached my minicell foam seat in my boat with industrial Velcro (got it at Home Depot -- comes in 2" wide rolls). I used contact cement -- the gel type (it's really thick) -- 2 coats on each surface before joining. It held for about 5 years before I had to redo it.

3. oiddad

oiddad Paddler

Thanks for that Dan. Did you have velcro on the hull of the yak and on the bottom of the foam seat as well or does the velcro stick straight to the foam?

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I put 'loop' portion of the Velcro on the hull and the 'hook' portion on the underside of the seat. Both pieces are glued with contact cement (2 coats each) -- the gel cement does a good job of adhering to the porous minicell (I initially used regular contact cement but it didn't hold well to the minicell so I looked for a better adhesive -- the gel was suggested to me and worked well). I used two pieces of Velcro about 2" x 6" spaced about 6" or 8" apart to hold the seat in place.

I use the base of a Nimbus OC-1 minicell seat in my boat and a hand carved minicell seat in my daughters boat.

5. Roy

Roy Paddler

I've used Redfish seats in two of my kayaks and found them such a snug fit they didn't need to be glued or attached.

6. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

Mine is the same as Roy, I custom made it so that it fits snugly between the cheek plates of my wife's cedar strip guillemot. The cheek plates have some minicell foam and the seat snugs in below those. However, I recently have considered adding some velcro for a bit of extra security since it does sometimes slip out when practising rescues.
    Cheers,
    Bryan

7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

A snug fit for a minicell seat is desirable, but when wet and under the stress of reentry, especially in rough conditions, is not nearly secure enough. I have had mine pop out or shift to entrapping configurations a couple times, before I began using hook and loop tapes to secure them. Four three inch long by 2 inch wide pieces seem to be enough. Never had any issues with contact cement, provided it was the SOLVENT based version, not the water based stuff, in Weldwood, anyhow. 3M sells some industrial hook and loop tabs with pressure sensitive adhesive which work really well on freshly cleaned hard finished surfaces, but I suspect the PSA might not grip minicell very well.

8. Roy

Roy Paddler

My seats may be a little different insofar as they have a built in back rest with a piece at the back which fits snugly under the rear of the coaming and the thigh braces (which are one piece with the seat) fit tightly under the sides of the coaming. Never had a problem with the seat shifting.

9. oiddad

oiddad Paddler

Thanks guys. The seat I have on order has back rest and hip pads all built into one and it is suppose to fit snuggly under the combing and against the back bulkhead. I am hoping this is the case as I would rather not use glues and velcro. We will see. Cheers!

Attached Files:

10. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Boy, Redfish makes nice seats! I can understand your reluctance to undertake the thrashing hook and loop fastening entails.

If you get a nice tight fight under the rear of the cockpit, a lesser means of preventing the seat from moving forward, easier to install, and trivial to remove, is to place a couple small tabs of half inch double sticky foam, thickness about a sixteenth of an inch, at the forward edge of the bottom of the seat. Stick these to the minicell, with the exposed side still covered with the backing, and position the seat right where you want it. Then lift the front edge of the seat a bit, remove the backing, and press down firmly. When you want to remove the seat for cleaning, just slide a thin bladed serrated knife blade in and slice through each tab. Pop the seat out and remove the scraps of double stick tape. They come off easily with fingernail action.

The double stick foam is commonly used to mount prints and other graphics on walls, probably you have some sitting around from your last trip to Staples or similar.

11. oiddad

oiddad Paddler

Thanks for that Dave. A good idea. quote .... "probably you have some sitting around from your last trip to Staples or similar." I think you may have me mixed up with someone else. I'm in Sydney Australia not Canada.
    I'm now just waiting to hear back from Joe at Redfish. Not sure if they have taken a break over the holiday period. Will post a photo later if all goes well (fingers crossed)
    Cheers!
    LOL - Now I get it, staples is a stationery store not a place in USA/Canada. Sorry bout that.

12. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Olddad, yeah, we have staples in some navels in North America, but capitalized, it is a stationery store selling computers and all sorts of office supplies. BTW, I am a bit below the US/CAN border, but they let me post here, despite my inauthentic accent.

13. Batstar

Batstar Paddler

That CC foam seat is one that I custom carved for an Explorer LV. The stock foam seat in the LV sucked big time. I used a 3ft square piece of foam and mimicked the features of the seat in my Redfish Silver. I fabricated an adjustable backrest using extra foam and an integrated ½" plastic insert for rigidity all fastened it to the back rest using industrial Velcro. It was a really snug fitting seat and didn't require any additional use of glue or Velcro to fasten it down into the cockpit.

[​IMG]

14. oiddad

oiddad Paddler

When I googled redfish seats your seat came up. Sorry if I have unknowingly labelled it as a redfish seat. It is a very impressive looking seat. well Done! This is a pic I sent off to Redfish to ask if this is like what I have ordered and the answer was yes except for the shape of the base which will be changed to fit my Epic 18X Sport. Sorry for any confusion.
    PS - Batstar do you make these seats for a living? You should.

Attached Files:

15. Batstar

Batstar Paddler

No worries Oiddad. I'm actually humbled that you mistook it for a Redfish seat. :eek: This was actually the first fully integrated foam seat that I had ever carved. It was made easier due to the fact that I was fortunate enough to have one of Joe's seats in my Redfish Silver to use for the mock-up.

16. oiddad

oiddad Paddler

G'Day,
    Got the redfish seat this week and it fitted snugly and perfectly into the epic 18x. No velcro no glue needed so far and I have done self rescues and unsuccessful rolls (gotta learn them yet) Joe Greenley has done a great job! After a long paddle (3hrs) I found I had to carve a couple of butt pressure points. Alot better now but it will need some further fine tuning (must have a boney butt)
    Cheers.

17. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Olddad,

Good on ya! Those cheek pressure points kill me on a long paddle. Nothing like a high speed right angle grinder with 60 grit on the sanding pad to carve out those tush-friendly hollows.

18. oiddad

oiddad Paddler

After paddling now for over a year with the redfish seat I can honestly say I have rid myself of pins and needles in the feet and sore bum bones. All I did was wedge a piece of cell foam under the front edge of the seat hence increasing the amount of seat the backs of my thighs rest on. I also do most of my paddling with knees together and only brace with knees under when I have to. I find bracing for too long increases the chances of pins and needles returning but not to the degree that they once were.
    Happy Paddling!

19. Yeti

Yeti Paddler

Thanks for following up! On my 'to do' list next week.

20. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

I use a nylon web belt with a snap buckle. I run the strap around the foam pedestal that holds the seat back. The strap free ends are attached to the seat bulkhead with screws.
    I like to remove the seat to allow the seat and the kayak to dry.
    You kayak's hull shape will determine if the seat needs to be retained.

Roy