submersible point and shoot recommendations

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by SheilaP, Apr 25, 2012.

1. eriktheviking

eriktheviking Paddler

I know that the newer Olympus Tough cameras can charge via USB, but do any of the others do this? I carry a USB storage battery on shorter haul trips and would consider a solar panel system on longer ones, but these require USB charging. Very few product descriptions seem to consider this so far. Can the Panasonic Lumix or Canon models do this?

2. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

Pentax Optio cameras can not be charged by USB.

They aren't point and shoots, but instead the POV cameras usually better suited for video than photo, but both the GoPro and Oregon Scientific ATC cameras can be charged by USB.

3. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

There is a solution for charging camera batteries with your USB power source.

http://www.modernoutpost.com/shop/batte ... l-usb.html

I've used it on my Sony camera batteries and it works quite well.

4. Oldpro

Oldpro Paddler

Sheila; For Christmas last year Ol' Santy brought me a Kodak C123 easyshare sport camera. Waterproof to three meters, works underwater, 12 Mp. Pictures OK for a point-and-shoot. It's been satisfactory for me. Santy says it cost around $150 (US).

Oldpro

5. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

Hey,
    Nobody mentioned the GoPro Hero.... Personally I have a Pentax WG1. It is OK, I was hoping it would do more and be better, a bit disappointed.
    Any GoPro users out there? Or any experience with them? My problem was to find a helmet/chest mount for my Pentax. Zip out there, as far as I can find. This was my impetus to ditch the Pentax for the Hero. so.. anybody know if it is worth it?
    Sheila hope you haven't blown the loot yet! :lol:
    I await .... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

6. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

I wouldn't go for a GoPro as an only camera. I mentioned in an earlier post about a review of the Pentax vs Olympus I did in California Kayaker Magazine. In the following issue, I did a review of the GoPro Hero HD (so now 2 generations back - they recently announced the GoPro 3) vs. Oregon Scientific ATC-9K (still current). Review is readable online for free at http://www.calkayakermag.com/magazine.html. In general, I find the POV cameras like GoPros great for mountain on you or your boat, but not great as a handheld. Yes, you can mount them, but you lose all sorts of things that are taken for granted on hand helds (zoom, flash, viewfinders, shutter speed changes through having different modes, etc.).

7. Teach

Teach Paddler

Just been looking at the panasonic on Amazon.com and I see DMC-TS3 being 100 dollars more than the DMC-TS4 yet I can't see any differences in the details of these two cameras. They both appear to have the same outward features as well as inward features specified.

Does anyone know how these two differ? They must differ somewhat or there would not be such a difference in price! One would think!

Teach....

8. Reef

Reef Paddler

Not too much different.
    I had a look when I bought the TS4.
    GPS acquistion is improved.
    logs georeferencing data, with pressure, direction and alitmeter.
    you can shoot fully manual.
    and a fun time lapse option and panorama feature.