Subtleties of rolling

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Man in qajaq, Dec 5, 2017 at 4:57 PM.

1. Man in qajaq

Man in qajaq Paddler

Recently, I've been working on improving my technique for the forward finish roll. Previously it has felt proper and I always recover, but I just had a significant improvement while having a recent rolling session.
    I always had in mind while capsizing, to have the top of my head hit the water first. This made me arch my back; needed to initiate the recovery.
    What I discovered was if I turned my head about 45degrees it promotes the torso to rotate. ( this is essentially watching the end of the paddle) .
    The roll is now effortless, and feels as natural as taking a paddle stroke. It definitey has helped the 'off side'.

The other subtlety was executing the storm roll. If the leg drive and torso drive wet not synched properly it was a poor recovery requiring effort.
    I'm now inspired to discover more subtleties for the imorovement of other rolls.

Lanny

2. nootka

nootka Paddler

which forward finishing roll ?

3. Man in qajaq

Man in qajaq Paddler

4. nootka

nootka Paddler

I know it as the reverse sweep, roll #6 in the greenland competition list.

I think you will find that the position of your shoulders before you start the sweep is critical.
    The importance of other factors depends on how well you float in a chest scull position.

Feel free to post video.

5. Man in qajaq

Man in qajaq Paddler

When chest sculling, does one have the face in the water? I've seen video of people trying to keep their face up. To breathe I presume.
    Also seen it performed with face in the water.
    Which is technically correct?

6. nootka

nootka Paddler

Face in the water is permissible during competition. It's a lot easier, so that is what most people do.
    Most people make a couple of quick sweeps and call it good.
    I keep my face out of the water, turn the kayak so it is close to 90 degrees, and scull several times.
    It's slightly better to have both thumbs inward as that is the normal paddle position. It's easier on your wrist if you place the sweep hand thumb out. Some judges want thumbs in, some don't care. I'd rather see head up than thumbs in.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=jweBPFxT1sw&t=23

7. Man in qajaq

Man in qajaq Paddler

Someone once told me to never have my hands in alternate facing position as that would not be a normal paddling grip. Also to never cup the end of the paddle.
    But as you be said in another thread, there are no roll police to issue tickets.
    This is for fun and we should be able to keep it fun without worry of the roll cops.
    We'e also not out hunting and being capsized by aggressive walrus.
    Thanks for posting the video. Fantastic.

Lanny