Suppliers of bead and cove strips in BC?

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by eriktheviking, Dec 21, 2010.

1. eriktheviking

eriktheviking Paddler

I am planning to start a strip kayak in the New Year and would like to find a supplier of bead and cove strips (WRC and AYC). I would prefer to find a reasonably nearby supplier. So far I know about West Wind Hardwood (Sidney)- has anyone used them before? I tried to call Great Northern Craft (North Van.) but the phone numbers I found no longer work. Another option would be a kit of supplies from Orca. Does anyone have other suggestions?

2. Roy

Roy Paddler

I know the question was about bead and cove strips but - honestly, you can do an excellent job with plain strips, a small block plane and a sanding board. I built one kayak with bead and cove and it looked great until I started sanding. Then all (well maybe not all) the not so tight areas started to show a wavy edge. I've built several kayaks with plain strips and, IMHO, they're not bad looking. With a little practice you can plane and sand a strip to a perfect fit in less than 10 minutes. Plus you can cut your own strips from a board and save a lot of money.

And while I'm here - a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Cheers,

Roy.

3. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

If you buy or cut your own, try to get the all the strips from one run. You can build a boat with strips that have a lot variation. The problem rears its ugly head when you start to "fair" the surface. It's like, double the variation (thickness, bead/cove centering, and grain) and do 4 times the work fairing the surface.
    If possible, inspect the strips before you buy.
    Check:
    thickness,
    grain for straightness,
    Bead and Cove for depth and centering ---- the cove depth should leave a very small amount of flat at edges to reduce splintering
    color

The other Roy