Surfing - wave reports and more (yup another question)

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by SheilaP, Oct 7, 2011.

1. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

SO, someone (me) is hooked on playing in the bumpy stuff. I have learned to figure out the surf reports for the West Coast, but am not 100% sure when I look at places like Jordan River and Port Renfrew. Which websites or information sources do you use? Any other tips and tricks? :big_thumb Love ya all. :hug

2. Johan

Johan Paddler

3. Alana

Alana Wave Seeker

Ooo... nice resource :)
    *Bookmarked

4. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Thursday looks good to me! (for me?) some BIG days coming up. Thanks Johan for the resource.

5. reanne

reanne Paddler

I also use MagicSeaweed. If it is after high tide, the swell has to be 8' or over for there to actually be waves at JR/China/Sombrio, in my experience.

6. CRPaddler

CRPaddler Paddler

I like this one, from my few experiences it seems to be pretty accurate:

http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Tof ... st/six_day

It also has the very useful information down at the bottom that if you can make it to Chile in time for Monday you can surf a 10 star wave :). Not sure how they rate the waves, but the best I've seen them give to Tofino was a 9 star - forecasted waves 21', 12 sec period, glass conditions.... I'm happy with a 3 star!

7. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

8. rider

rider Paddler

Magicseaweed seems to be the most trusted/followed and I think in a close timeframe(day or two away) it's fairly good for open coast. BUT! The prediction for Jordan River is usually shown almost same as ones for Tofino,but I don't think it's EVER the case. JR is always smaller than the open coast, and I'll assume swell direction makes a huge difference, as I think anything from southwest would get blocked by the Olympic Peninsula.
    If I recall correctly, Jordan River should be surfed at mid-high tide, whereas Renfrew only works at mid-low tide or else the wave will deposit you on the beach. Renfrew seems to need over 12 feet on the outer coast to work.
    My 2 cents from my brief experience anyway :) need to get out to south island more often.