Surprise for Kayaker in Norway...

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Jurfie, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

...when whales surface to feed directly behind him! As amazing of an experience that would be, I think I'd have to change my drysuit after that. :eek:

2. puffin paddler

puffin paddler New Member

Amazing, you are so fortunate to experience this.

3. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Oh, that wasn't me; I can only wish that it was!

4. Jasper

Jasper Paddler

Last year we had an amazing whale watching season here in Oregon. There were so many grey whales and they often came to within 30' and once during a rock garden rescue class one popped up within 6' of our swimmer. At the time it was cool, but I was also a bit worried, it seemed out of line with their normal behavior.

This year there have been starved to death whales found up and down our coast and the theory is that their feeding grounds are depleted due to global warming and I think that last year the poor creatures probably just came in closer to shore looking for food.

The words I have for the current state of humanity are probably not suitable for a public forum..

JohnAbercrombie likes this.
  5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

In the Deer Group, years ago, a humpback surfaced and rolled his eye at me from 20 feet away, between me and a rock wall. We were returning from a sortie out to the tip of Edward King Island, and were hugging the wall in an effort to avoid disturbing the whale, which we had encountered offshore a hundred meters on the way out.

With no warning, it was definitely a change your shorts moment!