Suspenders?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by dermot, Sep 9, 2018.

1. dermot

dermot Paddler

Eva's looking at a custom Kokatat, asked me to ask you all..
    should she add suspenders to her expedition men's based custom order ?

i have a NRS and it's always falling down around my knees until it's all the way up, so i'm a bit biased, i'd go for suspenders in a heartbeat

thoughts?

2. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

I also think they're a no-brainer also, but you could add a bungee inside from wrist to wrist with clips if you wanted to save money. Clip together on the back to use. Sorta like how you keep the ski mitts attached to the toddlers.

Another idea is to aquaseal velcro tabs on the outside [wrist tab to opposite waist tab and 'sim-to-typ-det' on the other side]

. . . so 3 options.

3. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I have a Level Six Fiord drysuit which has suspenders and it's a feature I like a lot.
    They are a bit more than just suspenders, as the pics should show.
    fjord_vallarta_blue-4_1024x1024.jpg
    fjord_vallarta_blue-5_1024x1024.jpg

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

My dry suit came sans suspenders. Until I saw John's in place, I did not understand their value. I think they would have reduced the tendency of the suit to scrunch down while sitting, freeing up the arms a bit.

Probably a worthy addition.

5. Kayak Jim

Kayak Jim Paddler

Another vote for suspenders. Don't have 'em but wish I did.

chodups likes this.
  6. designer

designer Paddler

My NRS Mariner drysuit has suspenders and I use them when I land and want to open the suit but not take it off completely while I'm still wading in the water a bit while unloading. They are great for that - keeping the lower pant part in place while the top part open/off.

BUT - you need to be careful when you put the suit on - I've "read" that the suspender strap can end up under a leg or some other inappropriate place. Also, if you paddle with the straps up, they not on just right, it can feel like a strap is about to slip off your shoulder and/or create chaffing. For that reason, I don't put the straps on when I'm paddling and only employ them when I'm on shore, with the top of the suit off, but still not ready to take it off altogether.