Tahe 535

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by oiddad, Mar 15, 2013.

1. oiddad

oiddad Paddler

G'Day all. First time posting. I am interested if anyone has paddled or owns a Tahe Wind 535 and what they think about it?. I have the chance to paddle one with thoughts to purchase if I like it. This is a semi carbon model in outstanding condition.
    Cheers

2. AM

AM Paddler

Hey, oidad

I've have a 535 for over a year now (I bought it off a member of this board, who perhaps will chime in) and I quite like it. Before I go any farther, I should say that that I 'quite like' most boats I paddle, as I'm not very choosy and I think most boats do at least some things well.

Here's what the 535 does well:
    - its narrow width and cut-away deck panels make it easy to paddle with a medium to high angle stroke.
    - it has my favorite hatches for tripping - oval Kajaksport - plus the cockpit hatch for small items
    - very generous packing volume
    - skeg-rudder combo is actually quite useful
    - its decently fast and reasonably maneuverable

So other you have it - a decent touring boat with some nice features. Some negatives - I don't like the stock seat (I've replaced it with foam) and it is a wet ride through waves. Also, it has less of a fun factor than my other boats, though I think its specialty is touring. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Andrew

3. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Well, since Andrew mentioned me...

The Tahe Wind 535 was my boat first! LMAO :mrgreen: :hug

What I loved about it: fast touring boat, lots of room for storage (I used it guiding), I found the seat and cockpit very comfortable, I liked the lines, and I liked the outfitting. Oh and that forward day hatch, I have never gotten over losing that!

On the other hand, I was challenged by this boat. I found it hard to manoeuvre confidently in dynamic waters. It was more 'twitchy' than I preferred when not paddling (have to hand out cookies and chocolate confidently when guiding). I found it harder to roll than my other boats, and I found it less responsive that my shorter boats. And yes, it was a soggy, but fun ride. All this really depends on personal preferences though!!

Over time, my confidence and paddling style has changed. I would still like this boat for long tours and day paddles. Just make sure you take it out in the roughest conditions you are likely to paddle in, with safety in mind of course, to make sure you like the way she will handle.

4. oiddad

oiddad Paddler

G'Day. Had a paddle in the 535 today in Sydney town. We paddled for around 25km and I was pretty comfortable all the way. It was very quick on the flat and easily picked up wind chop down wind. In the lumpy bumpy stuff under the Sydney Harbour Bridge you had to concentrate to keep it upright but I wondered whether that was just me on a paddle in a boat I had only been paddling for an hour. I wondered whether that would get easier. The boat went well in a straight line but didn't seem to turn all that easy. Again this may just have been me on a first trip. I would add some foam padding for the thigh braces and maybe do something about the back brace which just didn't feel quite right but not wrong enough to be a problem. What do you think?

5. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

I'll be 100% honest. I never managed to confidently manage this boat in the rough stuff. My skills were dropping when I sold her because I had become more timid and fearful. On the other hand, that IS my default paddling personality. I chose another boat that supported me in my learning and confidence. I have seen Andrew paddle this boat with ease and confidence, so I wouldn't place any blame on the boat.

Can you take it out in rough stuff again? It would be interesting to see if you feel an increase in confidence and/or skill. If that potential is there for you, it may be a boat for you.

I installed a different back-band on the boat because I didn't like the stock one. I didn't need padding, I come with plenty. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

6. Reef

Reef Paddler

I have only paddled the 535 one day, but I noticed the same thing.

7. AM

AM Paddler

Hey oiddad, outfitting is a personal thing, so the seat, backband, amount of foam on the thigh braces are all things that you might like or not. They are also things you can change in a boat.

As for stability and maneuverability, they are related, meaning that the 535 will turn fine if edged, but you have to feel stable enough to edge it. My suggestion is that you throw 40-50 pounds of gear in the boat and see how it feels. Packed for a trip, I find the boat to be comfortably stable. Unloaded, it requires more attention.

Cheers,
    Andrew

8. oiddad

oiddad Paddler

Yep with some weight in it it was a little easier to handle but this then is no good for day to day paddling. I am beginning to wonder? Some people swear by them but I'm not sure.