Taking eggs

Discussion in 'Meals and Menu Planning' started by AM, Sep 18, 2013.

1. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

It's nothing new...Americans (and some 'Western' Canadians) have been bellyaching for years about the terrible burden of slapping a 5-cent bilingual sticker on a package. It's ironic that importers of products from India/Italy/etc. don't make a big fuss about the same thing.

I remember when you had to physically mix the red dye into margarine (at home) because it was considered deceptive for the producers to make it look yellow like butter.

I'm a big fan of proper use of English words...'butter' and 'cheese' should be reserved for the dairy products. Let's bring back 'spread': nut spread, peanut spread, etc. ! :D

2. Bluefoot

Bluefoot Paddler

Was well aware of the recall issue. Western alienation Kool-Aid? Not familiar with that flavour but will certainly watch for it. And the red dye thing - boy that sounds really gross :yikes: - glad I missed that.

And thank you to the person that did the research on the wine thing - that will teach me for believing what I read in the Globe and Mail - darn. More innocence crushed. :doh:

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

I have enjoyed BC wine many times. Yet, the expense of those vinos over the counter have made it far more economical to take along the liter and a half allowance as my share of a 3 Liter boxed WA or OR wine, crossing the border from the US.. Not as high in quality, but out paddling, I don't care

4. designer

designer Paddler

Dave, are you saying there's a 1.5 liter limit per person so with two people that's 3 liters? If so, do you have to have it in two containers or can you leave it in original 3 liter box?

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Original box if you like. We pull the bladder and shield it in a nylon stuff bag, nonwaterproof, for ease in compact packing. Fits wherever underdecks.

Never been hassled at the border, entering Canada. Always declare everything and never try to slide anything extra across. I just tell them we have one 3 Liter wine bladder, shared, and they never even look. Examine their list of forbidden fruit and similar. They do care about apples, peaches, others I cannot recall. We just stock up at the Safeway in Duncan because of its easy access, good selection and good produce, typically hitting it about noon if we get the earliest ferry out of Port Angeles.

For some reason they are fussy about fresh meat, but I have never been asked about it. They have a great selection of good cheeses, every supermarket I have ever visited, so I buy my cheese in Canada. Others have transported cooked meat, in frozen form such as in homecooked chili, declared it, and no issues. Ditto marinating flank steak. Go figure.

Returning, I bring nothing, flat effing nothing. One avocado and they will haul you over and want to see all your food. BTDT. Almost as bad as entering CA from OR. You would think we were OR-7. :wink:

6. designer

designer Paddler

Dave - so here's my crossing story ... I believe it happened on my Marathon THREE DAY drive from Bend OR to Phoenix AZ where I picked up the Mariner XL. Just drive down, spend 45 minutes with the previous owner, load it up, drive back. I was a little road weary and in complete robotic driver mode - all systems shut down except for watching the road/traffic.

So I'm crossing from NV into CA and the stop at the "guard" crossing. "Where are you coming from?" he asked. I looked over my shoulder and said, in my best explaining it to a 4 year old voice, "Nevada". I'm sure that if said it a smart a$$ way, I would have gotten more grief. Perhaps he could tell (smell) that I had been in the car about 24 hours and I sincerely thought he didn't know that Nevada was on the other side of the state line.

I was still focused straight (onward to Bend - like horse heading for a well known barn) ahead but it appeared he was having difficultly deciding what to say next. All I remember was "Drive On." so I did.