• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Tallships 2008

Mark_Schilling

Paddler
Ahoy, matees!

I keep forgetting to post about this, so please excuse the last-minute notification...

The Tallships festival will be visiting Victoria this weekend. They sail in on Thursday, and the festival continues until Sunday. There are always lots of land-based activities and many of the ships will be open for tours. It's always a great excuse to paddle around the Inner Harbour too!

http://tallshipsvictoria.ca/

Enjoy (or should I say 'Har'? 'Aar'? 'Yar'?).

anyone up for a little evening paddle say 6:30 to welcome them? I'd love to check it out and have an excuse to kayak a little.

-Rich

'Har' has no defintion
'Aar' is a river in Switzerland
That leaves 'Yar' actually Yare. Dictionary says:
1. Responding quickly to the helm; manageable; said of a ship.
2. Brisk; Prompt.
3. Prepared; Ready.
Obs with dispatch; quickly; soon.
Yarely

We can't be having SEA kayakers talking like land lubbers.

The current is ebbing all morning and flooding all afternoon inthe Gorge, so I was thinking of launching at VCKC or at Craigflower in the morning and paddling down to the harbour. Not sure when yet, but it will be Sunday... (BTW, my carbon GP has not arrived yet... :cry: )

Hey Mike

We're driving Alexa to camp on Sunday morning so no chance to paddle that day. Will you be paddling on July 1st?

By the way, this morning I drilled the holes into my Gulfstream to install the bilge pump--your design. I just have to find that rubber stopper for the bilge exit, to keep the water out.

Gary

Left from Craigflower at 10 this morning with my brother-in-law from North Carolina. Tides were ideal. We did the Tall Ships around 11. Surprisingly little traffic in the area. Beats standing in line. :)

We went on saturday. It was cool to see the 2 SALTS schooners,Pacific Grace and Pacific Swift, the Nina(the biggest ship i've seen to have tiller steering). The Eagle was impressively big, and one of the "tour guides" was rather obnoxious. If i was to go again i'd rather just paddle around instead of standing in line ups for hours at a time.But a good day nonetheless.
62_Eagle_1.jpg

62_Nina_1.jpg
62_Pacific_Swift_1.jpg

62_fireboat_2_1.jpg

62_Bounty_1.jpg

Doug, Lance_Randy, George, Dan and I went down to the harbour by kayak and had a wonderful day there. I don't think I have ever seen so many sea kayaks in action as today! I did the dock-based tour 3 years ago and loved it - did the kayak tour this year and loved it! We did get told off by the USCG as we came within 50ft of the Eagle!

That was a fun paddle with some very hot paddlers...or was that paddlers who were hot? Well, at least one paddler looked rather hot: we were all cooking on the beach while lance_randy (not his real name in order to protect the guilty) showed us the efficaciousness of mango Gore-Tex.

605_Tallships20082_1.jpg

I certainly enjoyed being completely outnumbered by Greenland stick owners. Obliged by the constant proselytizing, I tried out a wooden Greenland paddle, then a Superior carbon version. After a few minutes, I didn't want to give either one back.

Nice paddles; nice people to paddle with.

605_Tallship2008_1.jpg

Doug Lloyd

That was a good time alright.
I was surprised at how fast you guys paddled, I really had to work to keep up!

lance_randy said:
That was a good time alright.
I was surprised at how fast you guys paddled, I really had to work to keep up!

Maybe you got slowed down by your constant need for "rotary cooling." :lol:

605_Tallships20083_1.jpg

Doug L

Back