Test Paddle a Paddle?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by oiddad, Nov 6, 2013.

1. oiddad

oiddad Paddler

Hey everyone. Apart from paddling clubs does anyone know of retailers/manufacturers etc who allow test paddles of their paddles? I'm keen to give a wing paddle a go but wish to use it over a weekend and not just a 5 - 10 min paddle.
    Cheers.

2. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

Yeah, I'd say a lot of the bigger retail outlets will let you demo gear, to a certain extent.

Most are unlikely to say "Here you go, take this paddle far away and bring it back when you are done". But many bigger retailers host 'Demo' days.

Could be useful for those on this forum to know where you are based? Might get some more specific advice :)

3. pryaker

pryaker Paddler

Not sure how often it's done but one of the wisest retail move's I've experienced was when Alder Creek did this for me a few years back and ended up selling two Werner ikelos off the deal. I went into the shop just before a trip just to buy a drybag or something; as usual in such situations I got distracted looking at gear and was caught caressing the carbon fiber. After a bit of talk the salesperson offered a demo even knowing I was going up to paddle in BC. Over the week long trip my buddy also used the paddle and we both ended up purchasing paddles that year. So if you're a regular customer of a particular shop I'd ask, you might be surprised what they'll do to make a sale.

Cheers