Thanks! 4 kayak cart ideas

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by Miklos, Oct 17, 2005.

1. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

quite a few guys have built golf type carts, but they get the crap beaten out of them if the yak is loaded because of all the rotational stresses on that tiny central joint.

if you can find any way to resolve/cancel these rotational forces by putting a member from the side of the kayak (or your wood outriggers) down to the wheel axle, you will give your cart a longer lease on life.

2. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

Thanks Mick - I see what you mean there.
    There's a LOT of tension/forces on those short stubby axles for sure.

Without getting too complex and adding too much weight to the whole contraption - to stop the "outward splaying" of the wheels under weight I'll rig up a line between the two axles, although not low enough that they'll get in the way.

3. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

Graham;
    could you replace the spindles with a one piece axle?
    DarenN......

4. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

I was thinking of that Daren - although then it would make it somewhat more difficult to collapse for storing in the trunk/van ? :?:

Looking back on what Mick has suggested - which would help the overall stability of the whole contraption - I'm looking into adding some struts (clip-on ones) from the stub-axle to the wood outriggers on each side - that should take a lot more stress off that center pivot-joint as well.

"Work in progress" :wink:

5. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Are you going to colour coordinate the cart with the boat?

And the car?

And the house?

6. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

@ Dan :p :p :p :p

Hey - gotta hae' SOME GRAY in our world don't we? :lol:

I still have loads of purple-n-lime-n-blue paint - be careful what you suggest :lol:

7. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

reviving the old cart thread.

Robert and i were talking a couple weeks ago about his cart design. I had built one out of 1" white pvc, screwed instead of glued, that works just fine, but those that know me well will know that i can rarely leave well enough alone. I decided to go one size smaller and built one out of 3/4" white pvc. I tied the kayak to it and dragged it around the yard with no problem, so i thought "lets see if it will break?". so i started by loading all my gear into it. no problem. so i took all the gear out and sat in the boat, on the cart. it didn't even heave a sigh, so i flopped down in the boat heavily. the cart is fine, and lots strong enough, so the next one will be made out of 1/2" pvc. we'll see if i can break that one. total weight on the 3/4" pvc cart was about 240lbs..

DarenN.........

chodups likes this.
  8. Robert_Meier

Robert_Meier Paddler

Very cool! You're brave! Any pics?

9. waverider

waverider Paddler

Darren, you'd be amazed at how strong pcv pipe is, I have not done any tests on it so far , but I do work around it on the job site and I will tell yeah the crush resistince (sp?) is amazing ( think of a 1 ton forklift running over the pipe, no probs) the strength weakens when it bends but you would need to have a fair bit of length for that to happen. If you want I could always do a few tests at work in my spare time?

Mark

10. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

sorry. i can't post pics at this time. software problem that will be repaired while i'm away for the weekend.

Robert, the cart looks the same as yours but for one structural difference. to maintain the 14" o/a height i had to extend the upper most risers by an inch or so. the only other diff from my first cart is that i poured the bottom elbows full of epoxy before i drilled the axle holes. this solidifies the weakest point of the entire system; the point where the outer shell has been compromised by drilling for the axle.

Mark, you have spare time at work??? :wink: not to worry. i'll build the 1/2" model after this upcoming trip. if i can't break that one, i'll start looking for lighter materials.

natch; i'll report any and all failures.

DarenN.......

11. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

i checked at H-D (north surrey) last weekend and all they had in ten inch wheels are steel rims whether pneumatic or solid wheeled. they had plastic rimmed wheels in eight inch, but not ten inch. eight is too small IMO.

DarenN........

12. waverider

waverider Paddler

Darren if your close to Princess Auto ( on Fraser hwy. in Langley ) I am almost positive that they have 10 '' plastic wheels, or check to see if they show them on their website before heading out?

13. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

thanks;
    that was going to be my next try. i'll probably just drive to Langley on a saturday, as opposed to fighting with united blvd traffic.
    DarenN..........

14. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

after last weekends Portland trip i can now confirm that 3/4" PVC pipe is strong enough to hold up a loaded plastic kayak. no problems to report with the PVC.

i'm using a 1/2" round solid aluminum axle. it has some flex to it with a full load on, but, if i tie the kayak down useing the axle as the anchor point it puts pre-stress into the axle and alleviates the stress.

next up is a 1/2" PVC cart with a 3/8" axle; probably stainless steel this time.

DarenN........

15. waverider

waverider Paddler

Here is my latest cart, it is my "take with me" one. Comes apart in a couple sections and away we go. [​IMG]
    It will be field tested this weekend. :D