The Coast Kayak Symposium

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by WCoaster, Mar 31, 2005.

1. WCoaster

WCoaster Paddler

2. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

I started to read about it last week, then I noticed the cost 8O

Ill pass on that one :?

3. WCoaster

WCoaster Paddler

Yeah I noticed that too, but it is three days of meal, accomidation, and, for us mainlanders, transportation too!

It seemded like a lot of cool topics covered too.

4. Steve_Fairbairn

Steve_Fairbairn Paddler

I did this in 1994 and had the time of my life. If it weren't for the expense, which is absolutely worth it, I would do it again. I don't know what has changed since 1994, but at the time everyone piled themselves and their boats onto the MV Britannia at Coal Harbour and cruised over to Thetis Island to a private dock at a summer camp. A chef and his staff from some 4 star restaurant in Victoria were brought in and the food was fabulous and plentiful. 3 large meals each day and a never ending supply of fruit and drinks for snacking between meals. There were educational workshops, both on water and off, for all skill levels and interests. There was even a heated pool for learning/practising wet exits and rolling.

Accomodations were a bit rustic - bunk houses with 2x4 bunk beds and prison-style vinyl mattresses. The smart attendees brought tents and setup camp in one of the grass fields.

If the cost is not a deterent, I would highly recommend this long weekend to any paddler.

5. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

drinks?

6. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

That does look like a great weekend

7. Steve_Fairbairn

Steve_Fairbairn Paddler

I seem to recall that there were no adult beverages available. But since you don't need to bring any food or cookware there should be room in your boat for beer. I recall that a number of people from the island got a cut rate for taking the ferry over to Thetis instead of comng from the mainland on the Britannia. Taking a vehicle turned out to be a good thing as a couple of us were able to hitch a ride with one of them to the pub on the other side of the island near the ferry dock.

8. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Ha ha! I should have guessed at your response :lol:

I suspect they didn't want people to be overly intoxicated while trying to perfect their rolls. :? 8O