There's a lesson in here somewhere...

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Dan_Millsip, May 27, 2005.

1. rider

rider Paddler

Sorry to hear Dan. i think you lived 2 out 3 of my worst nightmare scenarios. #1 tipping with the camera out, #2 going for a swim in false creek...#3 would be getting eaten by a giant catfish but let's not talk about that :lol: If it makes you feel any better, i almost tipped doing a low brace turn at your duck pond lake in abby at one of the W C&K demo days 2 years ago.

2. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Of all the threads from the past to bring up two years later... :lol:

3. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

OMG - not you too! 8O :p

4. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Then how do you guys feel about that segment in This is the Sea I where the fellow hangs upside down with goggles on watching the manatees!!
    8O

5. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Actually I thought that was really cool. We've tried that a few times (sans goggles) in the Chatham Islets when the seals start surrounding us, but as soon as one of us capsizes the seals have a fit, splashing their tails and running away.

What, you've never seen a seal run?

6. cyberhun

cyberhun Paddler

I was within 3 km of Nakwakto Rapids, a destination I'd been planning to photograph for almost a year, and I flipped my kayak trying a fancy new method of getting into it without getting my feet wet. Ironically, every time I'd gotten into my kayak I'd put the camera into a ziplock baggie, 'just in case', but this time, since I was within a few km of my ultimate destination, I didn't need it, right? Wrong! Splash! Grrrr!
    My point being --- don't feel bad, Dan, we're all idiots. I'm a particularly high-performance idiot.
    I was so pissed off about losing my camera when just 3 km from the ultimate west coast kayak destination (in my opinion) that I didn't even go through Nakwakto rapids into Seymour and Belize, I shot Schooner channel outbound, towards Burnett Bay, on an ebb-tide from Cougar Inlet and had 'fun' with oceanic rollers that run up against the channel's high volume out-flow and turn into a stationary wavetrain of 4 meter high breaking waves, 5 meters from peak-to-peak --- an absolute deathmachine for any small craft under 40 feet LOA, never mind little kayaks. Nevertheless, if you know what you're doing, you can find regions where the rollers are flattened out, not heaped up, but it takes experience on the water, and I certainly don't recommend it for anybody that isn't prepared for the worst, and has piloted many a vessel through river bar-type conditions.

7. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Hey, speak for yourself. :p