Tides--Indian Arm

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by pawsplus, Mar 15, 2019.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

For Indian Arm, do I just go by the Burrard Inlet tidal times? And where is a place online where I can see those way in advance (like July)? Thanks! :)

2. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

You could use https://www.tides.gc.ca/eng/station?sid=7735 or http://www.tides.gc.ca/eng/data/table/2018/wlev_ref/7735 to get future times/dates.

This tidal info looks like it is based on a monitoring station at the Vancouver ferry terminal. Indian Arm would be slightly delayed, and the heights could be a bit different. I would allow for times in Indian Arm to be 15-30 minutes later than what is listed, and the farther up the arm you are, the more the delay. This is not based on local knowledge, but on how I have seen tides react in other places, so quite possible that someone with better local knowledge may say my info is all crap.

3. LAM

LAM Paddler

4. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Oh, thanks! That one didn't turn up in all my searches, and it has it month by month! Appreciate it!

5. jefffski

jefffski Paddler

Some tide charts do not correct for DST.

6. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Oh. How can I tell?? That said, an hour won't make a WHOLE lot of difference. Just trying to go up the arm mostly on the rising tide and come back on the falling tide, to the extent that is possible. I found a good window in mid-July that should work.

7. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

I've only paddled there a couple of times, but don't recall the currents inside Indian Arm being all that strong. But can someone who has better local knowledge than I comment on the currents there? I think Paws is referring to this in trying to time.

Something I have also found is that currents generally lag tides. Looking at http://www.charts.gc.ca/publications/tables-eng.asp and comparing current at First Narrows with tide height at Vancouver, it looks to be about a 30 minute lag. So if high tide is at noon, the current may not switch from flood to ebb until 12:30.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  8. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Peter, for an enclosed basin such as Indian Arm, the separation in time, aka lag, between highest water and reversal of current flow direction is strongly affected by the amount of input into the basin from any exterior source, such as a river at the upper end.

Nonetheless, that half hour estimate is probably pretty good.

For comparison, on the Lower Columbia River during the spring freshet, highest water and "high slack" can differ by an hour or more, with current reversal preceeding the time of highest water. This can be maddening as hell when the ebb begins well before highest "tide."

9. stagger

stagger Paddler

For what it's worth, I haven't found the currents in Indian Arm to be significant enough to pay attention to. Wind is very much the larger factor there in my experience. You can expect an inflow wind most afternoons. You might actually find better conditions paddling against a wind and rising tide together than when the wind is opposing the falling tide creating choppier waves. Mornings are pretty much always the best time to paddle there.

10. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

OK--good to know. I had read that they can be significant.

11. jefffski

jefffski Paddler

Winds pick up at noon except in mid winter. By late spring, expect very strong afternoon winds and waves.

Boats and their wakes are also a concern. Try to avoid Friday evenings, Saturday and Sunday afternoons and Monday mornings in summer.

Granite Falls and Twin Islands are overcrowded shxt shows all summer.

Tides are not an issue.

12. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

I've done many short day paddles in Indian arm and a few couple overnite trips down to Granite Falls in the off seasons when no one else was around. I concur with everything that's said except at the sides of the neck just to the west of Hamber Is I've played in some 1 or 2 nm/hr currents there and outside of Belcarra Park and peeling off Admiralty point i've been in some 1 or 2 km wide circular slooow eddies that oppose the tidal flow. So it is possible even in current situations to hop against the tide in areas.
    The afternoon winds are not great [ie annoying], but in many places it's the same - so it's just paddling.
    To me it's a dramatic location starting right in the middle of a metropolis and in many ways it's a fairly safe way to just get out there.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    stagger likes this.
  13. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

I am planning on going in and out in the AM, so that works for me!

jefffski likes this.
  14. stagger

stagger Paddler

Enjoy, paws! It’s a sweet spot with easy access & good camping. For how close it is to Vancouver, I’m amazed I don’t see more paddlers there. Most folks seem to go as far as the power plant & back to deep cove only. When I first went, I rented from DCO (right at the launch site - super convenient - you can take a bus from town even) & the guy was amazed I had gone all the way up to granite falls and back during the 8 or so hours I was out for.

jefffski likes this.