• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Tofino marine weather

Reef

Paddler
Does anyone use other resources for predicting winds on the southern west coast of BC? I am familiar with Environment Canada, but also curious if people have any experience with others.
MM5 or WRF_GFS out of Washington?

GRIB data - google for software package zygrib. I used it to predict winds for friends sailing across the Atlantic. They'd call me by SAT phone on even numbered days, and I'd give them their 2 day forecast. It was reasonably accurate, but maybe it is less so near land.

I don't know much about gribs.
I have used grib data on ships in the past, but it was always presented to me by officers/crew. But I had always thought of gribs being a format for delivery of WX info from whichever sources you choose. Gribs for MSLP or winds or ice cover.
I will give it a try, thanks!

I would check out Windfinder Pro. I first downloaded it for the Gulf Islands and have been checking it often since (mostly in the Okanagain) - both before the fact and after - and it seems like the best to me. It's actually for surfers I think. I bet something like that is great for Tofino too - lots of surfers that want to know if it's worth going out. And it searches for the closest predictions to your position.

Back