Trailering a Single Kayak

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by SilverDave, Mar 15, 2006.

1. SilverDave

SilverDave Paddler

I saw a unique and very light Kayak trailer in the states about 4 months ago.... It was a long skinny trailer designed to be (easily ?) pulled behind a large GoldWing Motorcycle... It appeared to be mostly a long thin tube extending from the trailer tongue socket back to the wheel axle... and seemed to get its strength from the fact that a kayak was attached to it..

Does anyone know of anyone in BC who has one.. or can fabricate one ???

SilverDave javascript:emoticon(':roll:')

2. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Something like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SilverDave

SilverDave Paddler

ahh Yes!!! Thank you DarrenM ... and its being pulled by a GoldWing, too ... Where can I get one of those ??? SilverDave javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

You might try Western Canoeing and Kayaking in Abbotsford as they retail kayak/canoe trailers. They have a single boat trailer listed on their site (click on Trailers on the menu on the left) called the Northern Dancer (listed at $2550):

http://www.westerncanoekayak.com/

5. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

6. rider

rider Paddler

At the motorcycle show a couple years back i saw a display from a local company that builds golfclub trailers. i wonder if they could cheaply build you one for a kayak. I don't know if i'd feel safe with one of those behind me, from the 'that idiot almost ran me over' standpoint. If you get a really close call and you avoid it but your trailer bites it, youre still going down. I've had a few close calls and i wouldnt want a trailer behind me when i'm trying to avoid some cellphone yakking SUV driving moron plowing into me.

7. SilverDave

SilverDave Paddler

well.. It would be used on short journeys to local lakes, and rivers, not very much on the SuperSlab... but whatever weight was saved on frame, using smaller tires, etc, I think would be balanced by lights. lights, and more lights.. LED's all over the place , sides, and top, back of the kayak, as well as on the trailer itself ....

But you are right... there is no protection from the cell phone driving moron whilst you are on any bike, even a big GoldWing SilverDave javascript:emoticon(':roll:')

8. Daveman

Daveman Paddler

Here's another light weight trailer that can be pulled by a car or motorcycle. http://www.sportsrig.com. I think it looks pretty cool and isn't horribly expensive (expensive yes, horribly no)

Daveman